10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP

Update: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, then then check out these posts (Vista, Windows 7). If are feeling more adventurous I have also posted 10 Intermediate Ways To Speed Up Windows and also More Ways to Speed Up Windows XP

I’ve just finished setting up a new PC for a friend and I think some of you will be interested in some of the tweaks I make to all of my PCs to make them quicker. I’ve focused here on the ones which are simple to do and won’t cause problems if you get it wrong, rather than listing registry tweaks etc.

1. Disable Indexing Services

Indexing Services is a small little program that uses large amounts of RAM and can often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process indexes and updates lists of all the files that are on your computer. It does this so that when you do a search for something on your computer, it will search faster by scanning the index lists. If you don’t search your computer often, or even if you do search often, this system service is completely unnecessary. To disable do the following:

• Go to Start
  • Click Settings
  • Click Control Panel
  • Double-click Add/Remove Programs
  • Click the Add/Remove Window Components
  • Uncheck the Indexing services
  • Click Next

2. Optimise Display Settings

Windows XP can look sexy but displaying all the visual items can waste system resources. To optimise:

• Go to Start
  • Click Settings
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click Advanced tab
  • In the Performance tab click Settings
  • Leave only the following ticked:
  • Show shadows under menus
  • Show shadows under mouse pointer
  • Show translucent selection rectangle
  • Use drop shadows for icons labels on the desktop
  • Use visual styles on windows and buttons

3. Speedup Folder Browsing

You may have noticed that everytime you open my computer to browse folders that there is a slight delay. This is because Windows XP automatically searches for network files and printers everytime you open Windows Explorer. To fix this and to increase browsing significantly:

• Open My Computer
  • Click on Tools menu
  • Click on Folder Options
  • Click on the View tab.
  • Uncheck the Automatically search for network folders and printers check box
  • Click Apply
  • Click Ok
  • Reboot your computer

, ,

446 Responses to 10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP

1. Anonymous December 3, 2005 at 1:04 pm #

As specified in the Windows Design Guidelines. Apply saves settings and keeps the dialog open, while OK saves the settings and closes the dialog.

2. Anonymous December 3, 2005 at 3:40 pm #

The last option in suggestion 2 doesn't apply to the Windows Classic style – if you try to enable it Windows will change to the default XP style.

3. Anonymous December 4, 2005 at 2:45 am #

About Bootvis.exe
    Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software.
    Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

4. Anonymous December 4, 2005 at 6:33 am #

1. It may be more prudent to simply disable or set to manual the Indexing service from the Service Control Manager, rather than to un-install the service, which would imply that you would never need it in future.
    2. The author has not provided links to any of the utilities mentioned, such as CacheMan, TCP/IP Optimizer etc. Their utility in these cases also is disputed at best. My suggestion is that readers should critically analyze these products, before trusting them to make your Win XP faster.
    3. Rather than suggesting that users remove their desktop background altogether, which would seriously impact their user XP-erience, I would suggest that they install a wallpaper that is lower in file size and resolution. For instance, .bmp files are generally quite large in size, and may take more resources to display.
    4. Be very careful about the fonts you remove from the Fonts folder, since some fonts may not be needed by you, but may be used by the system, or associated programs.
    5. I agree with the first post, which questions the application of BootVis to speed up Windows XP.

5. Anonymous December 4, 2005 at 6:49 am #

I agree about the fonts– I removed most of them and suddenly in the windows title bars I get wingdings instead of text. But as for bootvis:
    “I'm not sure what kind of game they are playing but the “Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users.” is a blatant untruth. From what I understand, Windows XP runs the routines that Bootvis does every 3 days (isn't it strange that all 4 machines showed improvements even though XP is supposed to be doing this by itself?). That may be all well and good but suppose I want to put my machine in a optimized state NOW (especially if I want a clean and optimized Ghost image)? For MS to say it will not improve boot times is ….ridiculous. They may not have created this tool for end users, but it does work.”

6. Anonymous December 4, 2005 at 9:08 am #

…..heh

7. Anonymous December 4, 2005 at 12:36 pm #

Sure would be nice to quantify the improvements… some may not be worth much…

8. lachdanan December 4, 2005 at 9:19 pm #

man..this is cool..but i's like ''how to tweak XP for dummies''..
    y hope you to postanother guide…wich is more difficult to do..but will have his great reward..
    and plizz…put the links…or at least the versions of the programs that you used…
    thxs anyway
    see ya!

9. hudz December 4, 2005 at 8:03 pm #

what does happen if virtual memory is set way off the recommended (1:1.5). Something like (1:2 / 1:3)? Does computer has any trouble with that?

10. Anonymous December 5, 2005 at 5:08 pm #

I ran BootVis the other day -
    before:- [boot + driver delays] – 49.82 seconds to boot completed
    after:- [optimize system] – 15.24 seconds to boot completed
    but it still takes TO a minute for my other stuff to load & my Anti-Virus to finish the
    boot-time scan
    It is definitely faster to boot !

11. Anonymous December 5, 2005 at 9:37 pm #

I downloaded Bootvis and ran it like it says to. I rebooted and 20 minutes later, it was still stuck (blue bar wasn't moving) on the Windows bootscreen. The computer was then restarted because it wasn't doing anything and I clicked on “Last Known Good Configuration” and it worked. So I don't recommend Bootvis and don't know what happened to me.

12. Anonymous December 6, 2005 at 6:42 am #

All this has made my machine very slow! Takes ages to open any apps like MS word now. Seems to crawl to do anything at all.
    Any suggestions?

13. Anonymous December 6, 2005 at 7:08 am #

there's probably one change that you've done wrong. These changes are pretty easy to undo. I think it's probably number 5 or 8 as the others can't really go wrong

14. Anonymous December 7, 2005 at 2:27 am #

services.msc – disable a bunch of stuff u don't need like ipsec,mdm,messenger etc
    msconfig – uncheck useless stuff (non ms)
    try not to use pppoe, use basic of driver without extra sw
    increase ram – duh

15. Anonymous December 10, 2005 at 5:25 pm #

After applying the tweaks, my computer has all kinds of problems. Worst is that it runs out of memory, which has *never* happened on this computer until now. Also, the virtual memory gets too low, and ZoneAlarm TrueVector shuts down and won't restart. I guess tweak #5 is to blame, or maybe #8, but I don't know enough about it. How do I undo all the changes that CacheMan made when I ran the wizards? Thanks.

16. Anonymous December 11, 2005 at 3:55 am #

I think maybe the problem was I selected “Disable Executive Paging” in the wizard. That's probably what's zapping my memory. I only have 448 MB RAM. I just re-enabled Executive Paging, let's see if that helps.

17. Everton Blair December 11, 2005 at 4:12 am #

Did it work?

18. JWSchwendinger December 11, 2005 at 9:30 am #

Idon’t give a “poop” what anyone says.
    I took several of your suggestions and what a freakin’ difference it has made. i.e. Virtual memory, font removal, the cacheman prog, the services.msc, etc.

THANKS

19. Everton Blair December 11, 2005 at 9:45 am #

Cheers mate -glad to be of service!

20. Tiernans Comms Closet January 12, 2006 at 5:23 pm #

Check out these articles on Windows Speed tips:
    10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP
    10 Intermediate…

21. Max Clark January 12, 2006 at 6:06 pm #

There are some very interesting ideas here on simple things you to can to make your system [feel] faster. While I am not going to subscribe to all of them – I learned a couple new tricks.
    10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP
    10 Intermediate Wa…

22. stone January 14, 2006 at 6:50 am #

10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP…

23. Anonymous February 24, 2006 at 2:15 am #

Your tips I have used before. I can not complain. There are many things that will not help a person regardless of the tips you have provided. Peoples PC's have to be clean and running stable. I use windows XP so I think one of these did not apply to me and was for win 2000. A dirty PC will run like a snail if anyone does a service pack 2 update. Dirty pcs are those that are infected with spyware, maleware, trojans ect. Also there was some one complaining about the bootvis taking for ever. This is most likely because you have 10 million things trying to load like messengers, real player and any other programs that are basicly of no good upon a boot up. Things to have are a firewall, antivirus, antimal-ware, startup process monitor are basic needs.
    In short. Your info rocks and thanks for the tips.

24. James MacAonghus March 15, 2006 at 8:44 am #

I wouldn’t run Bootvis. MSFT does not support it any more and says it will not help you. Also in many cases it creates a file that takes up several gigabytes and does not stop growing. Google it for the various issues. I tried it and that’s what happened to me, I am lucky to be alive, I tell you.

25. Avatar of monu32
    monu32 July 3, 2006 at 3:07 am #

In page 2/9 given idea about ‘ /prefetch:1′ not working.
    For IE it’s working but home page lost…can u suggest the proper way of that thing?

Everton July 3, 2006 at 10:05 pm #

[Comment ID #1840 Will Be Quoted Here]
    I think you’ve modified the shortcut not the actual .exe

27. Mike October 3, 2006 at 7:26 pm #

I have reinstalled windows on my DELL laptop (winxp home)

Now on bootup I am asked to make a selection of which operating system I want to boot to

But I only have one, and they option is for winxp home on both

Please help

28. user October 12, 2006 at 6:05 pm #

right click “my computer”
    properties
    advanced
    under startup and recovery:
    settings
    then delete the valid entry
    file save
    close/close…
    reboot

29. Bob November 25, 2006 at 5:32 pm #

Did most of the tweaks .. great results …Thanks!!!

Everton February 5, 2007 at 10:03 pm #

These are all good tips and this site has proven to be trustworthy and safe as far as getting answers to questions… Staysecure is also another great site very close to this where you can get help with protection and maintainance.. The site is hosted by Jimmy Kolo who is a software and research developer from Redmond washington, home of Microsoft. Jimmy helped develope the new Vista and has also worked on and is working on several other Microsoft projects. Be sure to check him out.

31. Thomas Butler February 24, 2007 at 7:22 pm #

I just completed a quick check-over of your webpage; Most of these ideas sounded plausible, if needed. I run micrsoft’s malicious spyware removal program. along with Ad-Aware* I also have my internet and security settings
    medium to high medium. If I were running a professional office, much of my PC set-up is very office friendly. Also, having automatic updates turned on,
    keeps your system refreshed and up to date.
    However, I shall review this information again and retain it in a separate file; if I should reconsider using any or all of these tips,… I might like to keep you apprised of changes/improvements/customer recommendations…
    Thomas J. Butler
    33 Brooklyn St. Apt 3
    Warsaw, NY 14569

thms_btlr@yahoo.com

32. Windows XP Tips March 2, 2007 at 1:48 pm #

These are great tips for Windows XP Speedup. I did try all of them and they really work. I also did tell to my friend to try them and I hope he will also have same opinion.

Thanks@

33. RAMAKRISHNA March 6, 2007 at 12:55 pm #

I THINK THIS IS NOT SO USEFUL FOR ALL BUT IT SHOULD BE IN AN ADVANCED MANNER

Everton March 6, 2007 at 12:59 pm #

why are you shouting?

This link might help you calm down

35. Rohit March 29, 2007 at 8:20 am #

I am writing a document on “Speed up your computer” and planning to post it on our Knowledge Management intranet, so that other employees in my company can also benefit from reading it. I came across an article, available at http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2005/12/05/10-intermediate-ways-to-speed-up-windows/, on the same subject. I would like to include parts of this in my document. I request you to kindly grant me permission to do so. I assure you that I would give appropriate credits and references (in-line citations) to your article in my document.

Everton March 29, 2007 at 11:21 am #

thanks for asking – have no problems with you using as long as you include the accreditation

37. Rohit April 2, 2007 at 3:46 pm #

hi everton,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    But could you please do me a favour,
    please send me an email at rohit_malkani@infosys.com saying that you have no objections with me using these tweaks. I can even send you the document for your kind perusal,so that you can approve it.

Thanks.

38. bigballs April 7, 2007 at 3:31 pm #

ok something on this bugged my laptop up i had hibernation enabled now i have lost the tab for hibernation tab and now i cant use it now

Everton April 7, 2007 at 7:58 pm #

None of these changes impact hibernation mode. I’d recommend retracing your steps to see if you made any mistakes

40. steven April 9, 2007 at 6:28 pm #

here is an idea for you?

4 gb + usb pen drive or memeory card 4gb +

move the swap file from the winxp hd! to the usb or memeory card slot device.!””

watch it move then.,……..SPEED BOOST WINXP…..

41. john dewey May 1, 2007 at 4:58 pm #

Think the simple way is to use another operating system :)

make a fresh install – back it up vanilla and work away. when it gets clunky just restore vanilla ( takes 10 mins )

easy

42. pranay May 30, 2007 at 9:48 am #

suddenly disable search option in windows xp with sp2,
    in services.msc is on

43. pranay May 30, 2007 at 10:48 am #

suddenly disable search option in windows xp with sp2,
    in services.msc is on

44. Chris Beaumont June 5, 2007 at 10:20 pm #

How does the Extensible Performance Counter work ? I’ve installed it but cannot find it anywhere on the Programs list.

45. Chris Beaumont June 5, 2007 at 11:20 pm #

46. Everton June 7, 2007 at 5:42 pm #

@Chris – read #4 again

Everton June 7, 2007 at 6:42 pm #

@Chris – read #4 again

48. irfan June 11, 2007 at 12:13 pm #

thx for the tips, they helped.

49. irfan June 11, 2007 at 1:13 pm #

thx for the tips, they helped.

50. Ayman A. Ismail June 26, 2007 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks alot it is realy faster

51. Ayman A. Ismail June 26, 2007 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks alot it is realy faster

52. CrackPot July 14, 2007 at 10:34 am #

Thanks for the update wow it worked for me. everyone should try it.

53. horisly July 17, 2007 at 1:02 pm #

thanks for your sharing.
    it’s the more simple the better for me.

54. horisly July 17, 2007 at 2:02 pm #

thanks for your sharing.
    it’s the more simple the better for me.

55. Adam July 24, 2007 at 9:37 am #

Wow, great list Dennis! Now this is why people decide to subscribe to this blog, keep up the good work. Maybe a follow up with Vista instead of Xp?

56. Adam July 24, 2007 at 10:37 am #

57. hal9000 July 30, 2007 at 2:54 pm #

Improve XP: remove it and install FreeBSD

58. hal9000 July 30, 2007 at 3:54 pm #

Improve XP: remove it and install FreeBSD

59. Juggler August 8, 2007 at 11:47 pm #

Thanks for this. You gave some really great tips on how to make XP run faster and smoother. :)

P.S. Did you allow people to post the exact article on their blog? ‘Cause I saw one blog that has the very same article, but it’s dated July 30, 2007 :P

60. Juggler August 9, 2007 at 12:47 am #

61. Everton August 9, 2007 at 5:25 am #

@Juggler

A lot of people have stolen this article because it ranks so highly on google. Thanks for reminding me to try and get some removed

Everton August 9, 2007 at 6:25 am #

@Juggler

63. NLP Master August 18, 2007 at 10:08 am #

Software tweaks are inexpensive ways to boost WinXP performance but with the continuous fall of RAM prices, why not just grab 2GB worth of system memory? Slap that into middling machine and it instantly outperforms the most tweaked up Win OS.

Of course, switching to Apple OS takes you to an even more blissful high. Now that’s fast- really fast! Even on low spec Macs

64. NLP Master August 18, 2007 at 11:08 am #

65. Jan Barber-Doyle August 26, 2007 at 5:41 pm #

What about prior versions of Windows? I get the “system low on resources” pop-up all the time when I am on line, and I don’t know how to free up resources.

66. Jan Barber-Doyle August 26, 2007 at 6:41 pm #

67. NLP Master August 27, 2007 at 12:43 am #

Programs like QEMM fix up memory problems in older versions of windows- like Win95.

But good luck looking for such programs.

68. NLP Master August 27, 2007 at 1:43 am #

But good luck looking for such programs.

69. Kline September 7, 2007 at 3:52 am #

For Vista, you can find similiar information at this vista tweaking site, among many others.

70. Avatar of Kline
    Kline September 7, 2007 at 4:52 am #

71. Nicholas September 9, 2007 at 6:41 am #

72. Nicholas September 9, 2007 at 7:41 am #

73. Everton September 9, 2007 at 7:34 am #

@Nicholas

Yes, put the same number in both fields

Everton September 9, 2007 at 8:34 am #

@Nicholas

Yes, put the same number in both fields

75. Michael Samuel September 9, 2007 at 12:28 pm #

Thanks for the useful tips! however, I’m trying to make some money online in order to get a Mac! my pc is getting me crazy and I want to get rid of it today before tomorrow!

76. Michael Samuel September 9, 2007 at 1:28 pm #

77. Samuel September 11, 2007 at 2:38 pm #

These are some great little tips. I have implemented a few of them and they have not caused me any problems unlike some methods that have been recommended in the past. This is great as you find that the long you use windows XP the more it gets bogged down are really slows up so these few tips should help:)

78. Samuel September 11, 2007 at 3:38 pm #

79. future gadgets September 13, 2007 at 3:26 pm #

hey, thanks for the post, i’ve been looking for away to speed up my xp, it seems like I’ve tried everything, and my windows xp still kinda slow. Very useful tips on speed up folder browsing

80. future gadgets September 13, 2007 at 4:26 pm #

81. Yigit T. September 13, 2007 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks nice information, I will try to do

82. Yigit T. September 13, 2007 at 9:33 pm #

Thanks nice information, I will try to do

83. asso September 20, 2007 at 6:56 pm #

switch to classic style from xp style an you will notice your computer will befaster

put your mous on the destktop click the right button then chose propreties
    then appareance then chose classic style from and then apply and you are done.

84. asso September 20, 2007 at 7:56 pm #

put your mous on the destktop click the right button then chose propreties
    then appareance then chose classic style from and then apply and you are done.

85. bs prabhakara September 23, 2007 at 7:23 am #

similar to tweakxp….. LOL

90. angie September 25, 2007 at 6:44 am #

similar to tweakxp….. LOL

91. angie September 25, 2007 at 7:44 am #

similar to tweakxp….. LOL

92. km September 30, 2007 at 4:24 pm #

Nice Tips, However, i always goto startups services and uncheck some services to make the windows load faster

93. km September 30, 2007 at 4:24 pm #

94. km September 30, 2007 at 5:24 pm #

95. Sofna October 7, 2007 at 6:08 pm #

very nice tips. i am waiting for my new chip and mb in the mail righ tnow, the old one burned out. i will implement these tips and see what it does when i get my new hardware. thanks for the tips.

96. Sofna October 7, 2007 at 6:08 pm #

97. Sofna October 7, 2007 at 7:08 pm #

98. Suman October 19, 2007 at 12:12 pm #

Awesome !!!! this is great. My PC was very slow and i thought that it was because of 128MB ram which i have but it was wrong. After fillowing these 10 steps my computer worked as if it was new. I thank whoever have written this stuff. Man you are awesome. Thank you

99. Suman October 19, 2007 at 12:12 pm #

100. Suman October 19, 2007 at 1:12 pm #

101. viscido October 20, 2007 at 1:07 am #

Great tips, thank you!

102. viscido October 20, 2007 at 1:07 am #

Great tips, thank you!

103. viscido October 20, 2007 at 2:07 am #

Great tips, thank you!

104. Parabala October 24, 2007 at 5:17 pm #

I’ve been using a program called TuneupUtilities and it seems to do a pretty good job at finding bad registry entries. Not sure how much performance it has given me but my pc seems to boot a bit quicker.

105. Parabala October 24, 2007 at 5:17 pm #

106. Parabala October 24, 2007 at 6:17 pm #

107. Johan De Silva October 25, 2007 at 3:53 pm #

Windows XP is very fast anyway but it does need 756MB to 1GB of ram to start flying and any of these tweeks can go out the window. If you browse the internet Firefox is a must becuase multiple Tabs in IE start to make the PC crawl. If you play some computer games like BF2 and want increase load times more 2GB really speed the loading times up. Sorted.

108. Johan De Silva October 25, 2007 at 3:53 pm #

109. Johan De Silva October 25, 2007 at 4:53 pm #

110. christmas gifts November 8, 2007 at 7:16 am #

This looks seriously brilliant. I’m definitely going to try these out. I run a very clean shop with my windows, but notice that it seems to slow down because of the bulk of its own applications. In fact, the only time my XP software started corrupting is when I un-installed Windows Live OneCare (the free version) and left the computer for a week without touching it (went away.) When I got back, the software had corrupted. Windows XP must be the only software that corrupts when you DON’T do anything and leave it for a while. I’ve had similar experiences with it on other computers. Looking forward to looking at your VISTA write-up as well.

111. christmas gifts November 8, 2007 at 7:16 am #

112. christmas gifts November 8, 2007 at 7:16 am #

113. Selbourne November 14, 2007 at 8:45 am #

“Speedup Folder Browsing” this was a very useful resource. Its been a marked improvement since I have done this small change. Thanks

114. Selbourne November 14, 2007 at 8:45 am #

115. Selbourne November 14, 2007 at 8:45 am #

116. fertdert November 18, 2007 at 9:53 am #

i did these things and now my explorer bar is gone

HELP!!!!

117. fertdert November 18, 2007 at 9:53 am #

i did these things and now my explorer bar is gone

HELP!!!!

118. fertdert November 18, 2007 at 9:53 am #

i did these things and now my explorer bar is gone

HELP!!!!

119. Rosie November 21, 2007 at 7:59 pm #

These comments have been invaluable to me as is this whole site. I thank you for your comment.

120. Rosie November 21, 2007 at 7:59 pm #

121. Rosie November 21, 2007 at 7:59 pm #

122. Jacob November 22, 2007 at 8:52 am #

Actually I prefer to have the desktop wallpaper and some Windows visual enhancements. But afterall your article is useful especially on the folder part. Thank you. Found a similar article, hope it is useful too:

123. Jacob November 22, 2007 at 8:52 am #

124. Jacob November 22, 2007 at 8:52 am #

125. Eric Barker December 1, 2007 at 5:07 pm #

Thanks for posting! Didn’t know about #3, auto-searching for network files and printers. Made the change and it’s faster!

126. Eric Barker December 1, 2007 at 5:07 pm #

127. Eric Barker December 1, 2007 at 5:07 pm #

128. sendit December 5, 2007 at 3:31 pm #

#5 and 6 are bollocks because nothing on the instructions above relates to anything in the program. I know nothing about these programs or what they do and if I read instructions telling me to click on things which aren’t there then I assume the person who wrote this page doesn’t know either.

129. sendit December 5, 2007 at 3:31 pm #

130. sendit December 5, 2007 at 3:31 pm #

131. Anonymous December 17, 2007 at 5:06 pm #

Wherez those 10 tips to speed up this server where this page runs on. ^^

Got to see if I never need these, but everything little is something. Tho I kno most of these tricks by my own.

132. Anonymous December 17, 2007 at 5:06 pm #

Wherez those 10 tips to speed up this server where this page runs on. ^^

133. Anonymous December 17, 2007 at 5:06 pm #

Wherez those 10 tips to speed up this server where this page runs on. ^^

134. jsubbu December 29, 2007 at 5:38 pm #

thanks man its useful for me

135. jsubbu December 29, 2007 at 5:38 pm #

thanks man its useful for me

136. jsubbu December 29, 2007 at 5:38 pm #

thanks man its useful for me

137. TechDune December 30, 2007 at 2:12 pm #

I actually was googling for speeding up vista and came into this page .:)
    A list of 3 procedures..will try one by one and let you know.Thanks

138. TechDune December 30, 2007 at 2:12 pm #

I actually was googling for speeding up vista and came into this page .:)
    A list of 3 procedures..will try one by one and let you know.Thanks

139. TechDune December 30, 2007 at 2:12 pm #

I actually was googling for speeding up vista and came into this page .:)
    A list of 3 procedures..will try one by one and let you know.Thanks

140. Mark from Bloglyne January 14, 2008 at 7:17 am #

Looking through your archives – have you thought about doing a Vista version of this article?

141. Mark from Bloglyne January 14, 2008 at 7:17 am #

142. Mark from Bloglyne January 14, 2008 at 7:17 am #

143. train2 January 16, 2008 at 3:54 pm #

nice one everton blair :D

144. train2 January 16, 2008 at 3:54 pm #

nice one everton blair :D

145. Bob Ritchie January 25, 2008 at 11:14 am #

Great tips!

146. Bob Ritchie January 25, 2008 at 11:14 am #

Great tips!

147. Tal January 28, 2008 at 9:38 am #

Yeah, this was great. Cheers for that. Also you might want to try this great vid – http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_speed_up_my_windows_xp_pc.html

148. Tal January 28, 2008 at 9:38 am #

149. Tal January 28, 2008 at 9:38 am #

150. Tal January 28, 2008 at 9:40 am #

Cheers!
    Maybe you’d wanna try this too –

151. Tal January 28, 2008 at 9:40 am #

Cheers!
    Maybe you’d wanna try this too –

152. Tal January 28, 2008 at 9:40 am #

Cheers!
    Maybe you’d wanna try this too –

153. Trex January 28, 2008 at 9:45 am #

Thanks for this post. I am currently upgrading my cousin’s pc and this is what I need to speed it up a little bit.

154. Trex January 28, 2008 at 9:45 am #

155. Trex January 28, 2008 at 9:45 am #

156. Hanna Honeypot January 28, 2008 at 9:52 am #

Thank you very much!
    It was so slow… now it’s okay! :))
    How I may to thank you…
    visit my homepage at http://hannahoneypot.name
    I’m very grateful there :P

157. Hanna Honeypot January 28, 2008 at 9:52 am #

Thank you very much!
    It was so slow… now it’s okay! :))
    How I may to thank you…
    visit my homepage at http://hannahoneypot.name
    I’m very grateful there :P

158. Hanna Honeypot January 28, 2008 at 9:52 am #

Thank you very much!
    It was so slow… now it’s okay! :))
    How I may to thank you…
    visit my homepage at http://hannahoneypot.name
    I’m very grateful there :P

159. Portland Paranormal January 30, 2008 at 6:36 am #

Isn’t the obvious way to increase windows xp is to decrease program use. I find the number one reason people have slow computers really comes down to they have two many damn memory resident programs running. I saw anything more than 35ish processes running is too much. I don’t care if you have 4GB of ram.

160. Portland Paranormal January 30, 2008 at 6:36 am #

161. Portland Paranormal January 30, 2008 at 6:36 am #

162. Guadagnare February 25, 2008 at 10:38 am #

Awesome, my xp is going slower than ever, I am going to check this out and let you know if it worked for me!

Thanks
    Guadagnare

163. Guadagnare February 25, 2008 at 10:38 am #

Thanks
    Guadagnare

164. Guadagnare February 25, 2008 at 10:38 am #

Thanks
    Guadagnare

165. George Lindemann Jr March 18, 2008 at 6:56 am #

Thanks for the wonderful tips. Perhaps having the old win 98 theme also boosts performance

166. George Lindemann Jr March 18, 2008 at 6:56 am #

167. George Lindemann Jr March 18, 2008 at 6:56 am #

168. movies March 19, 2008 at 12:53 pm #

great tips, but there are simple hard drive defragmentation? :)

169. movies March 19, 2008 at 12:53 pm #

great tips, but there are simple hard drive defragmentation? :)

170. Avatar of movies
    movies March 19, 2008 at 12:53 pm #

great tips, but there are simple hard drive defragmentation? :)

171. JHON April 13, 2008 at 4:22 pm #

ONLY MY PC IS DAMN SLOW !!!!

172. JHON April 13, 2008 at 4:22 pm #

ONLY MY PC IS DAMN SLOW !!!!

173. JHON April 13, 2008 at 4:22 pm #

ONLY MY PC IS DAMN SLOW !!!!

174. mark redding April 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm #

It is possible that it is related to my own mistakes in carrying out the 10 steps. It did lead to frequent blue screens which require a complete reinstallation.

It may be with preconfigured computers like Lenovo, Dell and others that these changes unintentionally change other components of the operating system.

Mark from Ohio

175. mark redding April 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm #

Mark from Ohio

176. mark redding April 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm #

Mark from Ohio

177. Norman S. Weinfeld May 7, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

Addendum re Previous Post: As mentioned in another note below, my system is indeed a Dell (Infineon 8600 laptop)…

178. Norman S. Weinfeld May 7, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

179. Norman S. Weinfeld May 7, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

180. Omar May 24, 2008 at 3:19 pm #

It’s working , and it achieve the task !.

181. Omar May 24, 2008 at 3:19 pm #

It’s working , and it achieve the task !.

182. Omar May 24, 2008 at 4:19 pm #

It’s working , and it achieve the task !.

183. sudhy May 27, 2008 at 1:11 pm #

first time i enter this site,i really enjoying this and the notes for speed up xp is very useful to me                                                           thank you

184. sudhy May 27, 2008 at 1:11 pm #

185. sudhy May 27, 2008 at 2:11 pm #

186. PPC June 5, 2008 at 10:03 am #

Nice list of tips and tweaks to run windows xp optimally. Am currently going through list making sure everything applies to my notebook.

187. PPC June 5, 2008 at 10:03 am #

188. PPC June 5, 2008 at 11:03 am #

189. komodo dragon June 6, 2008 at 11:44 pm #

good job :) thanks for the tips, they help a lot

190. komodo dragon June 6, 2008 at 11:44 pm #

good job :) thanks for the tips, they help a lot

191. komodo dragon June 7, 2008 at 12:44 am #

good job :) thanks for the tips, they help a lot

192. keith watkins June 18, 2008 at 12:19 am #

i think that one of the most simple ways to speed up your internet is to keep downloaded media to a minimum instead of storing data on your hard drive download it to disc to save memory which will in fact speed up your computer becuse you have more memory available

193. keith watkins June 18, 2008 at 12:19 am #

194. keith watkins June 18, 2008 at 1:19 am #

195. leonard berishaq June 24, 2008 at 4:33 pm #

who wana do have service pack 3 for freeeeeeee than take my e-mail and i give you i swear and for free for windows xp its an ideally luckmuch better than windows xp
    leo-lyon@hotmail.com  im waiting thnx

196. leonard berishaq June 24, 2008 at 4:33 pm #

leo-lyon@hotmail.com  im waiting thnx

197. leonard berishaq June 24, 2008 at 5:33 pm #

leo-lyon@hotmail.com  im waiting thnx

198. Wii June 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm #

Boy am I glad I stumbled across this article.  My daughter uses our desktop PC and has been complaining about how slow it is getting.  I was about the do a reformat but this has kept her happy for the time being, thanks.

199. Wii June 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm #

200. Wii June 25, 2008 at 11:46 pm #

201. madrid man July 2, 2008 at 10:26 am #

Great tips.

202. madrid man July 2, 2008 at 10:26 am #

Great tips.

203. madrid man July 2, 2008 at 11:26 am #

Great tips.

204. Bobby July 8, 2008 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks alot ^^

this really helped as my computer was getting reallly slow!!

thanks!

205. Bobby July 8, 2008 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks alot ^^

this really helped as my computer was getting reallly slow!!

thanks!

206. Bobby July 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm #

Thanks alot ^^

this really helped as my computer was getting reallly slow!!

thanks!

207. PS3 July 16, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks for this, has really helped my computer speed up!

208. PS3 July 16, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks for this, has really helped my computer speed up!

209. PS3 July 16, 2008 at 4:18 pm #

Thanks for this, has really helped my computer speed up!

210. Voucher Codes July 23, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

Thanks buddy.. Its really helped me to speed up my computer..

Cheers

211. Voucher Codes July 23, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

Thanks buddy.. Its really helped me to speed up my computer..

Cheers

212. Voucher Codes July 23, 2008 at 11:55 pm #

Thanks buddy.. Its really helped me to speed up my computer..

Cheers

213. roshan August 2, 2008 at 12:47 am #

Nice guide and here is also a complied guide that i included your tips in: http://www.teckitech.com/07/21-super-effective-fast-simple-ways-to-speed-up-xp/

Tried it on my own xp it works like a magic

Read roshan’s latest blog post….Balisong Styled Concept Music Player>>>

214. roshan August 2, 2008 at 12:47 am #

Tried it on my own xp it works like a magic

Read roshan’s latest blog post….Balisong Styled Concept Music Player>>>

215. roshan August 2, 2008 at 1:47 am #

Tried it on my own xp it works like a magic

Read roshan’s latest blog post….Balisong Styled Concept Music Player>>>

216. roshan August 2, 2008 at 12:55 am #

This really worked just tried it on my pc and it works like magic…

217. roshan August 2, 2008 at 1:55 am #

This really worked just tried it on my pc and it works like magic…

218. baldrick August 9, 2008 at 11:07 am #

Your hints/tips/knowledge are much appreciated by me - running a relatively crappy tiny a360+ laptop, many thanks. I don’t know how it works, but i have heard tell of a program that puts virtual memory at the “start” of the hdd for quicker access and apparently that makes a low spec pc/laptop run a little quicker – i do have a fixed page-file that is not fragmented but i am led to believe that if it was moved to the “start” of the hdd that would be more efficient. So, - having fixed virtual memory at the “start” of the hdd – is it quicker, and can anybody configure it that way or is special software needed and is it worth it?

219. baldrick August 9, 2008 at 11:07 am #

220. baldrick August 9, 2008 at 12:07 pm #

221. Xbox 360 August 9, 2008 at 2:50 pm #

Thanks will try this when i get home!

222. Xbox 360 August 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks will try this when i get home!

223. Tom Callaghan August 13, 2008 at 3:00 am #

Hi,
    Have been following these steps to speed up my notebook all working fine until I got to number 10.  I deleted all the fonts I didn’t recognise or use and found that deleting fonts crashes Firefox version 3.0.1  When I reinstalled them firefox worked again.  If anyone knows which particular fonts cause this problem please let me know.
    Thanks for the tips

cheers
    tom

224. Tom Callaghan August 13, 2008 at 3:00 am #

Hi,
    Thanks for the tips

cheers
    tom

225. Tom Callaghan August 13, 2008 at 4:00 am #

Hi,
    Thanks for the tips

cheers
    tom

226. Shashank September 5, 2008 at 12:51 pm #

Recently i formatted my HDD after 1.5 years :)  , and now i am on optimization spree,  this article of yours is of great help.

Read Shashank’s latest blog post….Firefox & IE Gets a Competitor: Google Chrome>>>

227. Shashank September 5, 2008 at 12:51 pm #

228. Shashank September 5, 2008 at 1:51 pm #

229. SEO Tips September 7, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

My PC is getting really slow, going to try these out and hope that they work.  Really dont want to get a re-load as I never get it back the way that it was.

230. SEO Tips September 7, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

231. SEO Tips September 7, 2008 at 3:55 pm #

232. mobilejgame September 13, 2008 at 5:40 am #

Ah, How did you miss the System restore function… It can save you good space on your disk and also make XP effiecient, but this is only for people who are ready to better reinstall XP than using System restore function.

Read mobilejgame’s latest blog post….Sony Ericsson’s Digital Photo Frame>>>

233. mobilejgame September 13, 2008 at 5:40 am #

Read mobilejgame’s latest blog post….Sony Ericsson’s Digital Photo Frame>>>

234. mobilejgame September 13, 2008 at 6:40 am #

Read mobilejgame’s latest blog post….Sony Ericsson’s Digital Photo Frame>>>

235. Goran Website October 9, 2008 at 12:42 pm #

Habe started with the first 3, will try the additional 7 shortly. I was thinking that it had something to do with Google Desktop continously indexing all my data, anyone know if this is true.

236. Goran Website October 9, 2008 at 12:42 pm #

237. Goran Website October 9, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

238. K Gift October 11, 2008 at 3:22 pm #

I just dont get it, why do we have to do all these things to speed up our PC’s. 6 months after I purchased my laptop it is now half the speed. Surely this is a way of getting those IT guys to make more money and there for sell more products. Imagine the PC’s would last forever we would not need to update them as often. I will give these a go and see what happens, thanks for the interesting post.

• Everton December 21, 2008 at 12:38 pm #

test comment

• Everton December 21, 2008 at 12:38 pm #

test comment

239. K Gift October 11, 2008 at 3:22 pm #

240. K Gift October 11, 2008 at 4:22 pm #

Everton December 21, 2008 at 1:38 pm #

test comment

241. Alexander October 31, 2008 at 3:08 am #

Also adjusting the v-ram improves performance.

242. Alexander October 31, 2008 at 3:08 am #

Also adjusting the v-ram improves performance.

243. Alexander October 31, 2008 at 4:08 am #

Also adjusting the v-ram improves performance.

244. kavitha October 31, 2008 at 10:08 am #

is there any terget of the windows-xp,means in bits what is the speed pls answere….!

245. kavitha October 31, 2008 at 10:08 am #

246. kavitha October 31, 2008 at 11:08 am #

247. Matt Alexander November 7, 2008 at 6:09 am #

Wow, my PC is definitely zippier now. Thanks!

248. Matt Alexander November 7, 2008 at 6:09 am #

Wow, my PC is definitely zippier now. Thanks!

249. Matt Alexander November 7, 2008 at 7:09 am #

Wow, my PC is definitely zippier now. Thanks!

250. Apple Macbook November 11, 2008 at 10:16 am #

A simple way to speed up windows is to completely uninstall it and install OSX instead.

Just kidding (not really)

but this is a very informative post.

251. Apple Macbook November 11, 2008 at 10:16 am #

Just kidding (not really)

but this is a very informative post.

252. Apple Macbook November 11, 2008 at 11:16 am #

Just kidding (not really)

but this is a very informative post.

253. Cheap Mobile Calls December 9, 2008 at 5:28 pm #

Nice tips. I’m currently using just 3 methods out of your 10 and my computer is a lot faster. Many thanks!

254. Cheap Mobile Calls December 9, 2008 at 5:28 pm #

255. Cheap Mobile Calls December 9, 2008 at 6:28 pm #

256. Dan December 13, 2008 at 2:44 pm #

Hmmn, those are some very useful tips. You might also wanna check this out. There are quite a few very interesting posts especially the one on how to increase your internet speed.

257. Dan December 13, 2008 at 2:44 pm #

258. Dan December 13, 2008 at 3:44 pm #

259. Free Xbox Live December 14, 2008 at 1:53 am #

Gotta love windows XP over vista.

260. Free Xbox Live December 14, 2008 at 1:53 am #

Gotta love windows XP over vista.

261. Free Xbox Live December 14, 2008 at 2:53 am #

Gotta love windows XP over vista.

262. meeting rooms December 15, 2008 at 1:06 am #

263. meeting rooms December 15, 2008 at 1:06 am #

264. meeting rooms December 15, 2008 at 2:06 am #

265. Brian December 17, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

Going back to what Nicholas said along time ago…

“I’m confused about number seven. Do you increase the initial size to match the maximum size or vice versa? I just want to make sure I’m doing this right.”

I understand that you want to make sure the numbers are the same as someone replied, but could somebody please clarify which number you change? For example, I had an initial size of 768 and a max size of 1536. Do I make both of them 1536 or both of them 768?
    Thanks!

266. Brian December 17, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

Going back to what Nicholas said along time ago…

Thanks!

267. Brian December 17, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

Going back to what Nicholas said along time ago…

Thanks!

268. pcmemoirs December 22, 2008 at 8:32 am #

Great tips. I thought I was pretty knowledgable in the PC field, but this is quite detailed and very useful advice on speeding up slow PCs.

269. pcmemoirs December 22, 2008 at 8:32 am #

270. pcmemoirs December 22, 2008 at 9:32 am #

271. Free iPods December 26, 2008 at 12:34 am #

Good post.
    But i have upgraded to windows vista :p

272. Free iPods December 26, 2008 at 12:34 am #

Good post.
    But i have upgraded to windows vista :p

273. Free iPods December 26, 2008 at 1:34 am #

Good post.
    But i have upgraded to windows vista :p

274. bedding ensembles December 29, 2008 at 12:53 am #

I’m still using Pentium 3 pc and this tricks helps me a lot. Thank you.

275. bedding ensembles December 29, 2008 at 12:53 am #

I’m still using Pentium 3 pc and this tricks helps me a lot. Thank you.

276. bedding ensembles December 29, 2008 at 1:53 am #

I’m still using Pentium 3 pc and this tricks helps me a lot. Thank you.

277. Webrecsol Optimizer January 10, 2009 at 8:19 am #

hello i am use still P4 use and i read your article this is very use full and great thanks for sharing….

278. Webrecsol Optimizer January 10, 2009 at 8:19 am #

279. Webrecsol Optimizer January 10, 2009 at 9:19 am #

280. Tips and Reasons January 10, 2009 at 10:10 am #

“Automatically search for network folders and printers” .

Unchecking this actually worked! :)
    Thanks…

281. Tips and Reasons January 10, 2009 at 10:10 am #

“Automatically search for network folders and printers” .

Unchecking this actually worked! :)
    Thanks…

282. Tips and Reasons January 10, 2009 at 11:10 am #

“Automatically search for network folders and printers” .

Unchecking this actually worked! :)
    Thanks…

283. Free iPods January 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm #

Awesome tips.

I still prefer XP to vista any day.

Thanks

284. Free iPods January 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm #

Awesome tips.

I still prefer XP to vista any day.

Thanks

285. Free iPods January 10, 2009 at 7:22 pm #

Awesome tips.

I still prefer XP to vista any day.

Thanks

286. Thomas Edison January 13, 2009 at 3:11 am #

I think it’s complex for common users, software can help with these tweaks. I recommend to use Boost Windows 2009, the download link is:

287. Thomas Edison January 13, 2009 at 3:11 am #

288. Thomas Edison January 13, 2009 at 4:11 am #

289. judono January 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

hey thanks for the tips now my pc is stupid fast and work really well now when browsin the internet

290. judono January 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

291. judono January 15, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

292. Google Pagerank January 15, 2009 at 2:15 pm #

Now i know why i dumped vista! I followed the instructions from this post and i have quickened up my pc by 20%. nice work! thanks

293. Google Pagerank January 15, 2009 at 2:15 pm #

294. Google Pagerank January 15, 2009 at 3:15 pm #

295. isa savings January 16, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Great tips but don’t ever do that to a brand new pc…

296. isa savings January 16, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Great tips but don’t ever do that to a brand new pc…

297. isa savings January 16, 2009 at 11:12 am #

Great tips but don’t ever do that to a brand new pc…

298. me January 17, 2009 at 4:44 pm #

I still prefer XP x64 to Vista or Windows 7  any day.

299. me January 17, 2009 at 4:44 pm #

I still prefer XP x64 to Vista or Windows 7  any day.

300. me January 17, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

I still prefer XP x64 to Vista or Windows 7  any day.

301. lefty February 4, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

If you REALLY want to speed up your Windows..get Linux and Fluxbox!!!!!!   : )

302. lefty February 4, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

If you REALLY want to speed up your Windows..get Linux and Fluxbox!!!!!!   : )

303. lefty February 4, 2009 at 7:46 pm #

If you REALLY want to speed up your Windows..get Linux and Fluxbox!!!!!!   : )

304. coxy February 7, 2009 at 8:36 am #

why not do it to a new pc??? mine is new followed these tips and its lightnin fast

305. coxy February 7, 2009 at 8:36 am #

306. coxy February 7, 2009 at 9:36 am #

307. Harvey February 13, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Nice tips. Bootvis is a brilliant tool, my computer is now running lightning fast! Well sorta

308. Harvey February 13, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

309. Harvey February 13, 2009 at 6:42 pm #

310. Fetch February 16, 2009 at 11:16 pm #

This is an exact copy of one of the introduction books on my DNE course, but the question is who copied who?

311. Fetch February 16, 2009 at 11:16 pm #

312. Fetch February 17, 2009 at 12:16 am #

313. fikel February 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

Speed up your “Windows and get linux???? Linux is a system built on unix, which does NOT automaticly clean your Windows system… well DUH!

Linux is a completely different thing to Windows. Windows is made by a community, and Windows isn’t.

Anyway, if you are gonna change to Linux, i reccomend Ubuntu . It is free and fabulous!

314. fikel February 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

315. fikel February 26, 2009 at 5:37 pm #

316. Faster Laptop April 14, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

I’ve been banging my head against Vista for months. I’m probably the only person in the world who likes it over Xp, although XP was always faster.

Alot of your tips work well for Windows Vista (but needed some tweaking), and Ive managed to speed my Vista laptop up considerably.

Thanks!

317. Faster Laptop April 14, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks!

318. Faster Laptop April 14, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks!

319. Cheap DVDs April 21, 2009 at 8:22 am #

Thanks for that – I still use XP in preference to Vista as it’s a lot faster, but even so it does slow down a lot over time compared to when I first installed it so any tips to crank the speed back up are much appreciated!

320. Cheap DVDs April 21, 2009 at 9:22 am #

321. Andy April 22, 2009 at 2:25 am #

Vista aint slower then XP…
    If you configure it correctly, its faster.

Also disabling the Wallpaper is bullshit…
    No one runs an XP System with less then 256MB of ram, and then the Wallpaper doesnt even affect the spead if you measure it…

• rodney April 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

i run XP at 128MB of ram,an so do others.so it’s not true when you say that no one runs XP with less than 256MB of ram.

• rodney April 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

322. Andy April 22, 2009 at 2:25 am #

Vista aint slower then XP…
    If you configure it correctly, its faster.

Also disabling the Wallpaper is bullshit…

323. Andy April 22, 2009 at 3:25 am #

Vista aint slower then XP…
    If you configure it correctly, its faster.

Also disabling the Wallpaper is bullshit…

• rodney April 24, 2009 at 11:54 pm #

324. Adrian April 24, 2009 at 7:40 am #

there are things you can get rid of in the registry to speed up your machine and turn off services that are not needed, for example you can make help and support manual and stop the service meaning it want start but is available if needed, to change the registry is easy to follow the steps

start
    run
    type in regedit
    expand HKEY_local_machine
    expand Software
    expand microsoft
    expand windows
    expand current version
    click run
    in here is evrything that starts on start up you should be able to tell what you can delete things like quicktime itunes real player just be careful if you can tell what it is dont do it. this will also work with vista

325. Adrian April 24, 2009 at 7:40 am #

expand Software
    expand microsoft
    expand windows
    expand current version
    click run

327. Olla April 30, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

I have also set up a blog which shows you how to tweak your Windows XP and which software to run to speed it up.
    Check it out

328. Olla April 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

Check it out

329. Christopher May 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

Thanks, this stuff actually works!

330. Christopher May 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

Thanks, this stuff actually works!

331. Christopher May 4, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks, this stuff actually works!

332. sweety May 28, 2009 at 5:10 pm #

defragmentation also increases speed of a PC by using software tuneup utility

333. sweety May 28, 2009 at 5:10 pm #

defragmentation also increases speed of a PC by using software tuneup utility

334. sweety May 28, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

defragmentation also increases speed of a PC by using software tuneup utility

335. Dave June 4, 2009 at 12:43 am #

Thanks. I noticed significant improvement in my PC’s speed after following some of your tips.

336. Dave June 4, 2009 at 12:43 am #

337. Dave June 4, 2009 at 1:43 am #

338. Love Poems & Love Quotes June 21, 2009 at 12:52 pm #

I’ve optimized! My computer runs smother now. Thanks for the advice on the matter. It took me no time.

339. Love Poems & Love Quotes June 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm #

340. wsd906 July 4, 2009 at 6:57 pm #

WOW thx it really helped my gateway become faster

341. wsd906 July 4, 2009 at 6:57 pm #

WOW thx it really helped my gateway become faster

342. wsd906 July 4, 2009 at 7:57 pm #

WOW thx it really helped my gateway become faster

343. Mexstalion July 22, 2009 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks to you…..

344. Mexstalion July 22, 2009 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks to you…..

345. Mexstalion July 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm #

Thanks to you…..

• John January 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Tips are great but i got my problem solved by using reginout http://www.reginout.com

346. Colin D July 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm #

Done the job ,excellent results, which I could buy you a beer .
    Thanks again

347. Colin D July 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm #

Done the job ,excellent results, which I could buy you a beer .
    Thanks again

348. Colin D July 24, 2009 at 9:28 pm #

Done the job ,excellent results, which I could buy you a beer .
    Thanks again

349. Liam July 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm #

Excellent boot times now!

350. Liam July 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm #

Excellent boot times now!

351. Liam July 29, 2009 at 2:56 pm #

Excellent boot times now!

352. lola August 8, 2009 at 9:19 am #

lalalaloolooloooo nice :~) :D :) :( ^^ (^^)

353. lola August 8, 2009 at 9:19 am #

lalalaloolooloooo nice :~) :D :) :( ^^ (^^)

354. lola August 8, 2009 at 10:19 am #

lalalaloolooloooo nice :~) :D :) :( ^^ (^^)

355. Jason Coleman August 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

One strategy for improving things is rather draconian: back up your computer files, reformat your hard disk, then reinstall the OS from scratch and the key applications you use. Total time lost? Probably a couple of days by the time you get everything restored, but it’s really a pretty good annual task for PC users, in my experience. Check out my blog on how to speed up your computer.
    .-= Jason Coleman´s last blog ..Why is My Computer Running So Slow? =-.

356. Jason Coleman August 21, 2009 at 1:19 pm #

.-= Jason Coleman´s last blog ..Why is My Computer Running So Slow? =-.

357. Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 4:47 pm #

i saw a download.com rated rated software reginout which speeds up pc and stabilizes it by cleaning windows registry they’re offering a free registry scan here: http://www.reginout.net. while using it i would say i am more than satisfied as i could not do the techniques myself…

358. Pocket digital camera August 28, 2009 at 4:25 am #

I follow the above steps and I have my Xp works faster, thanks!

359. Pocket digital camera August 28, 2009 at 4:30 am #

I just followed the tutorial and I have my XP works faster, thanks!

360. allen13 September 4, 2009 at 6:33 am #

Points are good but i have one simple way to speed Window Xp and that is simple click on the below given link and feel the results.

361. توبيك October 22, 2009 at 7:02 am #

lllllllllllljhh

362. Shri November 9, 2009 at 1:16 am #

Upgrade DNS settings. Here are a few options and which one is best.

363. black singles November 16, 2009 at 10:48 am #

glad to see the comment bootvis and tweaking it

364. ceagal December 4, 2009 at 2:14 am #

Goto Run and type msconfig, and in the Startup tab unselect the unwanted applications. Then click apply and then OK. Now restart your PC. This makes your PC to run a bit faster while starting.

365. BigHappy December 4, 2009 at 4:35 am #

I feel so guilty I've missed this forum over the years. Iformation here have set me free with no chance of mishap from bad registry tweak…….keep up the good work, from here on in I'll have everyone cheecking this site.
    I am now ready for my GEEK learner's permit.

366. lolstan@hotmail.com December 12, 2009 at 11:14 am #

Thats a pretty nice guide :)

Theres a whole site of tips to speed up your PC here though:

367. tejotzone January 11, 2010 at 5:29 am #

l find if u are using dsl , u probably consider downloading dsl speed to boost ur internet connection

368. sadasdasd February 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

suckzzz found shit and didnt even work

369. gih March 2, 2010 at 8:58 am #

Thanks for the tweaks. Now I run my computer smoothly and I observed the performance changed.

370. Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

helloooooooooo

371. Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

helloooooooooo

372. Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

helloooooooooo

373. data recovery May 20, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

thanks for this guidance. I really wanted this. many times when I work my system gets very slow, hopefully it will solve my problem.

374. Air Jordan July 3, 2010 at 8:59 am #

I really liked reading your post!. Quallity content. With such a valuable blog i believe you deserve to be ranking even higher in the search engines :). Check out the link in my name. That links to a tool that really helped me rank high in google. This way even more people can enjoy your posts and nothing beats a big audiance ;)

375. Guest July 7, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

it might be 512mb ram but the extra ram is being used somewhere in your computer

376. Charles Martin July 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

ur 4th & 8th steps are not clear to me… cant find “Extensive performance counter list”

377. Forex Signal Service August 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i had been just wondering if you get lots of spam comments? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much recently it is driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

378. Pharmf799 August 16, 2010 at 9:34 am #

Hello! gfkdfbe interesting gfkdfbe site!

379. Hung Rohner August 22, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

After reading this posting, I pondered the same point that I invariably wonder about when scanning new blogs and forums. Just what do I believe about this? Precisely how must it impact me? This and extra posts on your weblog right here absolutely give some stuff to consider. I essentially ended up here via Yahoo when I was initial performing some web research for some course operate that I’ve. Often very good times browsing through and I’m hopeful that you will maintain on writing new posts. Cheers!

380. Dannie Holznecht August 29, 2010 at 5:07 am #

hey hey hey everyone, i’m really bored on the net so you all should mail me if you are too, strike up a convo :). or possibly facebook, my name on there is ray polosky

381. flip camcorder August 30, 2010 at 7:54 am #

Cute videos and a most detailed review I have seen about Flip. Last year, I was quite excited to launch a video cast and trying to find a mini cam suits my needs. In the end of the day I bought a Sanyo Xacti HD1000 for more professional stuff but still looking for a tiny device I can carry around.I got my MinoHD for Christmas and the video is not a jittery or pixelated on mine, regardless of the lighting conditions. Would it be possible the firmware on your MinoHD is an older version?

382. Bathroom cabinet August 31, 2010 at 3:38 am #

Wow! Very good content, the analysis depth, so I understand! Like the authors way of thinking, and writing style! Compliment, ha ha! Thanks again for the selfless sharing of, I have learned a lot! At the same time I like Bathroom cabinet very much

383. Baby Strollers August 31, 2010 at 3:47 am #

Good writing, and I very much agree with your thoughts and insights. Hope that more could write such a good word, I said, to continue coming to visit, thank you for sharing.i love Baby Strollers very much .

384. Baby Walkers August 31, 2010 at 4:04 am #

Cool. Talking about makes sense. Is recognized. Hope that it will often share such a good text. I will always be concerned about, because you can learn some knowledge, thank you for sharing, and i love Baby Walkers very much !

385. best pram August 31, 2010 at 4:12 am #

Oh, so unexpected, so surprise! Very touching, so well written and I have some perception, learning very much. Thank you for sharing. Very happy to see these and believe that your point of view. This same time,i love Best Pram very much !

386. personalized christmas gifts August 31, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

haha,so nice article.thanks for your share. the Christmas Day will coming! Merry Christmas,Happy New Yeah.

387. Wash basin September 1, 2010 at 3:42 am #

I think you write very good article I agree with the views and ideas! Second, the article gave me the feeling is very large, so I learned a lot of knowledge. Very grateful to the author’s share. I also like Wash basin very much!

388. 1234567 September 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

goodtrades    very   good

389. nylon spandex fabric September 2, 2010 at 1:42 am #

that is great post,something of it is interesting and they attract my attention.

390. tie guan yin is the best of Chinese Oolong tea September 6, 2010 at 3:10 am #

Tieguanyin is the most iconic type of oolong tea, ranking as one of Chinas top 10 teas. The best Tie Guan Yin comes from Anxi county in Fujian Province, which has been a prosperous tea growing region throughout history.

391. PU PVC leather September 6, 2010 at 7:10 am #

Hello, very professional high level of writing it! So many people to comment, let me also to comment on it. Because good writing, and I learned a lot, and I am glad to see such a beautiful thing. Thanks very much !the same time, i love PU PVC leather very much too !

392. air max 90 September 7, 2010 at 6:45 am #

Nike Air Max 90 and even more ways to make your comfort a priority. While http://www.airmaxdiscount.com increasing the ventilation network, let your feet bend and flex groove bend naturally when you’re away. airmaxdiscount eyestays allow you to customize additional support for your feet to maintain stability in your laces.

393. Power Strip September 7, 2010 at 6:51 am #

Wow, this is too cool. I am very like it, Thank you for sharing, let me so happy! At the same time ,i feel Power Strip very much

394. Booster Cable September 7, 2010 at 7:32 am #

Cool. Talking about makes sense. Is recognized. Hope that it will often share such a good text. I will always be concerned about, because you can learn some knowledge, thank you for sharing, and i loveBooster Cable very much !

395. air max 2003 September 7, 2010 at 10:00 am #

Nike Air Max shoe has a leather cover, improve ventilation, ventilation, duration of protection against impact, http://www.airmaxdiscount.com/ stability and Designs rubber stamps and embossed insole polyurethane midsole support and sustainability, and improve the adaptation and feeling in the ankle power train district, airmaxdiscount durability and comfort.

396. GREATEST125 September 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm #

EASY IMPROVEYOURPC.CO.UK

397. nike dunks September 8, 2010 at 1:36 am #

welcome visite our website,thanks!

398. If you are in need of floor tiles September 8, 2010 at 1:51 am #

floor tile Take a walk on the natural side with stunning and luxurious floor tiles from The Tile Shop. From ceramic and porcelain to natural stone, our tiles create floors that attract attention with their look. The timeless quality of each of our tile options means that they??ll enhance the surrounding design, no matter what that design may be. And with an easy-to-maintain finish and unmatched durability, you can be sure that your floor will keep attracting attention year after year.

399. rankpay September 8, 2010 at 5:42 am #

I’ve gotta say it is pretty evident you know whats up.This is something I’ll be submitting to Reddit.I’m thinking this is the best post I’ve read on your blog yet.I will be back more often then I used to, thanks for sharing this.

400. Shotgun cases September 8, 2010 at 10:24 am #

Wow, this is too cool. I am very like it, Thank you for sharing, let me so happy! At the same time ,i love Shotgun cases very much !

401. rankpay September 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

I can tell that you understand this topic, well written and nice job.I’m going to be tweeting this to my followers as I think it’s pretty important.I’d recommend writing additional posts like this one as it’s one of your best.I’ll be back for sure, excellent stuff.

402. nike dunk high September 9, 2010 at 9:03 am #

welcome visite my website,thanks!

403. omega watches September 9, 2010 at 10:07 am #

welcome visite my website!thank you!

404. polo shirts September 9, 2010 at 10:57 am #

polo outlet,polo shirts

405. Professional supplier of ceramic floor September 10, 2010 at 8:05 am #

Professional supplier of ceramic floor If you are interested to learn more about ceramic floor, visit ceramic floor

406. forexhug October 7, 2010 at 11:27 am #

thanx good tutorial iam now using win7 its better than xp

407. Sandy M. October 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

This list of tips look great. but in order to speed up the internet connection specifically, you may want to follow the guide here:

408. air max shoes October 20, 2010 at 9:49 am #

409. Angela3634 October 28, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

Fantastic list…I’ve still got more to add. check out this cool site that has got 15 ways to for a speedy PC. http://www.speedypc.org/

410. Afd October 31, 2010 at 2:25 am #

good tips

411. Christian Guico November 7, 2010 at 5:26 am #

Cool! I have speed up my pc using these guidelines. Thanks!

412. Anonymous November 9, 2010 at 7:27 am #

Hi, guys. I got same problem with you. I bought my Dell inspiron last Christmas. It worked sharp at the first few months, but got slow after that. It took about 15 mins to start up. I can even walk away and brew my coffee during waiting! I even thought about reinstall my computer! My friend recommended the software tuneup360 and Norton systemwork. I tried both. Norton did look really powerful and could do lots of thing, but it was too difficult for me and too expensive, while Tuneup360 is my type. I just need to click one big “fix now” button and get my computer fixed. Now my computer takes only 30 sec to start up.

413. ipotpal ipotpalov November 13, 2010 at 10:30 am #

Thank you for this steps! My os now is faster

414. Prafful 545 December 4, 2010 at 11:25 am #

not so gud

415. Anonymous December 5, 2010 at 7:50 am #

it’s good idea, But right now I would like to use Mac system. it’s speed up than xp.

416. Anonymous December 5, 2010 at 7:52 am #

good post, speed is important

417. Diehard24610 December 9, 2010 at 11:48 am #

Good job i know a bit about computers otherwise id have no idea what anyone was on about.

418. Guest123 December 17, 2010 at 1:09 am #

You can get programs to do it for you. For example, there is a really good program called Heigh Speed (http://www.heigh-tech.com/products/heigh-speed).

419. John December 21, 2010 at 9:22 pm #

Another tip is to get into the habit of keeping your files and folders organized. That way when you backup your system for a re-install it is easy to target your files. Even linking your my documents to a specific directory other than the default so you can easily backup and format and re-install.

420. Bob December 22, 2010 at 11:07 pm #

lol dah was only 3

421. John123 January 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

If you want real improvments to the performance of your PC, install new hardware or buy a new PC altogether, most modern PC’s wont suffer from performance problems in the OS, If you need to read this because your PC is so slow, it looks like its time for an upgrade.

422. Atomic1269 January 11, 2011 at 2:32 am #

nice. another speed up article here! http://a-how.com/archives/52

423. Nikedunkhi January 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

well i will try this if i ever use windows xp, until than, i guess this list is useless, unless any of it applies to SuSe and KDE. http://www.nikedunkhi.com

424. Idaniel_bv February 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Another way is to use Internet Cyclone that will optimize automatically and increases the internet speed.

It can be downloaded from http://www.jordysoft.com/icyclone/internet-cyclone.aspx

425. alex23 February 23, 2011 at 7:24 am #

Try http://www.systweak.com/aso/

to speedup system speed.

426. alex February 23, 2011 at 7:26 am #

Try http://www.systweak.com/aso/ “Advanced System Optimizer”

to speedup system speed.

427. bob February 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

http://365c9ev7gj9rhocamc22mcnart.hop.clickbank.net/ that is an amazing guide for speeding up your pc

428. Rambo March 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Always remove startup programs. A

429. Desktop computers March 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

very thaks for this topic…

430. A_lex89 April 1, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

431. Nursing College Utah April 2, 2011 at 9:54 am #

i used tis method and it improves processing.

432. iraqi_sport20072hotmail.com April 5, 2011 at 3:11 am #

slsolw

433. Chandan Ghosh April 13, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

1: Start > Right Click on My Computer and select properties.
    2: Click on the “Advanced” tab
    3: See the “Perfomance” section? Click “Settings”
    4: Disable all or some of the following:

Fade or slide menus into view
    Fade or slide ToolTips into view
    Fade out menu items after clicking
    Show Shadows under menus
    Slide open combo boxes
    Slide taskbar buttons
    Use a background image for each folder type
    Use common tasks in folders

There, now Windows will still look nice and perform faster!!!!!!!

434. Top Antivirus Software April 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

Plus you have to have the right Antivirus software Microsoft Security Essentials rocks its fast and dosent use much Ram plus its Free!

435. chenjing April 28, 2011 at 3:03 am #

Tried it, I think that good! !http://www.bracelets-pandora.co.uk

436. Harry May 1, 2011 at 2:35 am #

Good info. Removing the unwanted progams from startup is a very good option.

437. Sunny2007rana February 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

good one really my pc speeds up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the same