More Ways To Speed Up Windows XP

We recommend! Click Here to Turbo Charge your PC and internet

Update: If you are using Windows Vista then check out 10 Simple Ways To SpeedUp Windows Vista.

Athough I’ve just got a new PC that is scarily fast (well, compared to my old machine) I’ve still spent quite a bit of time trying to make it even faster, and I’ve discovered some handy tweaks that I haven’t used before along the way.

These aren’t covered in my 10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP or 10 Intermediate Ways To Speed Up Windows XP which together account for around 20% of my daily traffic. Once again, I’ve tried to focus on changes that any user can replicate and that won’t damage a system.

We recommend! Click Here to Turbo Charge your PC and internet

Speed Up Boot Times I

This tweak works by creating a batch file to clear the temp and history folders everytime you shutdown so that your PC doesn’t waste time checking these folders the next time it boots. It’s quite simple to implement:

1. Open Notepad and create a new file with the following entries:
  • RD /S /q “C:\Documents and Settings”UserName without quotes”\Local Settings\History”
  • RD /S /q “C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History”
  • RD /S /q “D:\Temp” <–“Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder”
  • 2. Save the new as anything you like but it has to be a ‘.bat’ file e.g. fastboot.bat or deltemp.bat

3. Click ‘Start’ then ‘Run’

4. Type in ‘gpedit.msc’ and hit ‘ok’

5. Click on ‘Computer Configuration’ then ‘Windows Settings’

6. Double-click on ‘Scripts’ and then on ‘Shutdown’

7. Click ‘Add’ and find the batch file that you created and then press ‘Ok’

We recommend! Click Here to Turbo Charge your PC and internet

Speed Up Boot Times II

When your PC starts it usually looks for any bootable media in any floppy or cd-rom drives you have installed before it gets around to loading the Operating System from the HDD. This can waste valuable time. To fix this we need to make some changes to the Bios.

1. To enter the bios you usually press ‘F2′ or ‘delete’ when your PC starts
  2. Navigate to the ‘Boot’ menu
  3. Select ‘Boot Sequence’
  4. Then either move your Hard drive to the top position or set it as the ‘First Device’
  5. Press the ‘Escape’ key to leave the bios. Don’t forget to save your settings before exiting

Note: Once this change has been made, you won’t be able to boot from a floppy disc or a CD-rom. If for some strange reason you need to do this in the future, just go back into your bios, repeat the steps above and put your floppy or CD-rom back as the ‘First Device’

, ,

34 Responses to More Ways To Speed Up Windows XP

1. Anonymous January 12, 2006 at 12:49 pm #

These are some great suggestions. Thank you very much.

2. Anonymous January 12, 2006 at 1:36 pm #

Actually, is better NOT to have Virtual Memory at all, as the OS (any OS) keeps writing buffered things that perhaps are not used at all. And, as we all know, the HD is the slowest part of the PC…
    So, my recommendation is if you have enough memory for your tasks, disable Virtual Memory at all.
    Happy new year!

3. Anonymous January 12, 2006 at 2:09 pm #

Excellent tips, thanks
    shiraz
    blogeverywhere.com

4. Anonymous January 12, 2006 at 3:48 pm #

Yet another person who has no idea what prefetch does in Windows XP. Prefetch does not, I repeat, DOES NOT preload programs into memory. It creates an index to the location of those files on the hard disk, including the order in which they’re loaded. This helps Windows load in programs faster. The prefetch directory is also used by the defrag utility to optimize files.

5. Tiernans Comms Closet January 12, 2006 at 11:23 pm #

Check out these articles on Windows Speed tips:
    10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP
    10 Intermediate…

6. Tiernans Comms Closet January 12, 2006 at 5:23 pm #

Check out these articles on Windows Speed tips:
    10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows XP
    10 Intermediate…

7. Fred January 12, 2006 at 10:29 pm #

Wow !!! Real great tips !!! Some I knew, but other that I like a lot … Specially the TCP Optimizer, and the TimeStamps tricks !!!
    But I have a little problem and need help !!!
    In my BIOS, my first boot is HD ! But every fu**in time I start my computer, when Windows XP starts he “scans” or “try to read” my floppy disc … This cause the big problem that not all my apps load at the start (iTouch for Logitech, OpenOffice launcher, Webshots, etc.). The only way I have is to wait, then close the session and open a new session. This time, in less than 30 secs, everything is loaded !
    So, please, HOW can I stop Windows to look on my Floppy ???
    Oh and don't tell me to uninstall the floppy … I know this one ! :)

8. Deian January 13, 2006 at 9:15 am #

- 4. Type in 'gpedit.msc' and hit 'ok'…
    gpedit.msc is not available for Windows XP Home users

9. Anonymous January 14, 2006 at 7:33 pm #

NOT COMPATABLE WITH WIN XP HOME

10. Anonymous February 11, 2006 at 1:23 am #

Fantastic article, helped me a bunch!
    Cheers!

11. Anonymous April 22, 2006 at 2:40 pm #

great article you do a great service to geeks like me. thanks A+++

12. Anonymous May 18, 2006 at 10:58 am #

Nice Article

13. Tziganu June 22, 2006 at 7:50 am #

Do not disable virtual memory :)) Ever!
    It’s a good thing to keep most of VM on a different HDD than the sistem one, but you also should keep at least 50MB VM on this too.
    The size of VM is largely debated elsewere, but even if you have 1GB RAM keep at least 256MB. Numerous reason for that… just trust me:))

All in all a good article, thanks:)))

14. inquizitor March 7, 2007 at 5:58 am #

Hello!

There is a little problem concerning IP address.
    My ISP gives dynamic IP address.
    So what to do, how to speed up?
    I am an exclusive user of my internet access and my PC.
    Thanks in advance,

i.

Everton March 7, 2007 at 7:18 am #

There is a little problem concerning IP address.
    My ISP gives dynamic IP address.
    So what to do, how to speed up?

Most ISPs are – the tips still work

16. Morlich07 April 19, 2007 at 7:35 pm #

Hi, thanks for the tips, it’s really been great for my laptop, but I have developed a slight problem and was wondering if you could take the time to help. I have noticed that my touch pad scroll function is no longer working, which is a bit annoying and have been trying to find away of switching it on. It’s an alps touch pad pointer, any help would be welcome thanks.

Everton April 19, 2007 at 8:00 pm #

none of these tips should impact your touchpad. Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

18. Michael Samuel September 9, 2007 at 4:41 pm #

Thanks for the extra ways! all of them work and make some difference however I still want to get a Mac…

19. Michael Samuel September 9, 2007 at 5:41 pm #

23. Micah November 5, 2007 at 12:54 pm #

XP must die

24. Caf May 11, 2008 at 1:37 am #

About this part:

Speed Up Boot Times I

1. Open Notepad and create a new file with the following entries:

* RD /S /q “C:Documents and Settings”UserName without quotes”Local SettingsHistory”
    * RD /S /q “C:Documents and SettingsDefault UserLocal SettingsHistory”
    * RD /S /q “D:Temp” <–”Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder”

Where is the temp folder you are referring to for example windows has one by its own, each user has it’s own and do you mean temp folder or temporary internet files, which temp folder do you mean, and there are programs out there to delete these things(CCleaner,Index.dat Analyzer

25. Caf May 11, 2008 at 1:37 am #

About this part:

Speed Up Boot Times I

1. Open Notepad and create a new file with the following entries:

* RD /S /q “C:\Documents and Settings”UserName without quotes”\Local Settings\History”
    * RD /S /q “C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History”
    * RD /S /q “D:\Temp” <–”Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder”

26. Everton May 11, 2008 at 8:19 am #

@caf

CCleaner etc don’t clear out the crap every boot automatically. If you have more than one user, then add a line to the batch file for each user.

Everton May 11, 2008 at 8:19 am #

@caf

28. dhon June 8, 2008 at 6:15 am #

how can i download videos in a fastest way???????

29. dhon June 8, 2008 at 7:15 am #

how can i download videos in a fastest way???????

30. Coop November 11, 2008 at 10:58 pm #

Also switch to Opera for a web browser.

31. Coop November 11, 2008 at 11:58 pm #

Also switch to Opera for a web browser.

32. Name October 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm #

poka

33. Name October 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm #

chutia banata hey bharwey madar chood koi aisa tareeqa bata jo chutyape ka na ho ye to karne se 1% effect aye ga saley mere pas i7 he mene ye kia ponka koi asar tak nai aya haan ho sakta he k kisi p4 pe shayad ye kaam kar jae gandu bharwey mera tym zaya kar a dia tu ne madarchod ki nasal

34. rotdgqtzjr August 31, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

PqyDBE zhnhxuvmkaml, [url=http://curbhaztnrja.com/]curbhaztnrja[/url], [link=http://ufznsdvhhlmc.com/]ufznsdvhhlmc[/link], http://kvrehupwcwzt.com/