I went to a Microsoft presentation yesterday which showcased the potential applications of their software. It wasn’t very interesting (although I did get some free software worth around Ã‚Â£400 which was nice!), although it did make me realise that I wasn’t getting the most out of my XP Media Center Edition PC combined with my Xbox 360.
One enhancement I added on last night lets my Xbox 360 to browse the web. This tweak doesn’t install a fully-fledged browser on the Xbox 360 but it does let you bookmark sites and follow links.
To install the tweak do the following (Windows MCE required):
1) Go to http://www.anpark.com/software.aspx
2) Click on “Download Now (591 Kb)”
3) Double click on MCEBrowserSetup.msi and just click next
4) Start your Xbox360 and go into Media Center
5) Go into “More Programs” and choose the “Browser” Entry.
6) Add Favorites to your 360 from your PC, by going into: C:, then “Documents and Settings” folder, then the “MCX#” folder
(# is a number, it depends on how many times you did manually reconnect the 360 to the PC , so it changes for everyone. The highest number is the latest, so choose that folder)
Go into the Subfolder called “Favorites” and either add links by drag’n’drop from Internet Explorers Address Bar to it, or right click and choose “Create Shortcut”, enter the URL, click next, and now Enter the Name of the Website (This will
be how it appears on the 360)
7) Choose One of your “Favorites” on the 360 and enjoy!