How To Move Your FeedBlitz Subscribers To Feedburner

Feedblitz LogoIf like me you were stuck with FeedBlitz subscribers, or subscribers on any other network that you wanted to move over to Feedburner, then here’s the method I discovered today.

Feedburner is the number one service that allows bloggers control over their feed. If like me you’ve been using their services for a long time, you might have signed up for a Feedblitz account so that you could still offer a email subscription offer to your readers. In fact, Feedburner used to over their email service via FeedBlitz.

However, Feedburner now offer their own service which in my view is much better as it includes the very cool ‘FeedFlare’ service that adds nice additional functionality to your feed for readers including email this, technorati links, comments count and the ever-present ‘digg this’ link.

Other benefits of moving would be that all your email RSS readers would be managed by one service, and you’ll improve your blog’s bragging rights (‘my feed count’s bigger than yours mate!’) by giving your feed count an overnight boost. It might even give you a nice revenue boost if you are part of the Feedburner FAN advertising network.

So how do you move? Do the following:

1. Log into feedBlitz and go to ‘My Account’ and select ‘My Syndications/View and Manage’
  2. Find the feed you want to move. Click on it and select ‘Subscribers’ and then ‘Export (OPML)’

Now all you have to do is email the nice people at Feedburner and they’ll add the subscribers to your Feedburner subscriber list. Simple. I’m so glad that I discovered this simple fix today, as I was on the verge of emailing directly my FeedBlitz subscribers and asking them to move, which wouldn’t have been very nice…..

I’m assuming this fix will work with any other feed that allows you to export an OPML. Let me know if this solves a nagging problem for you as well, or if this allows you to merge a different feed network with Feedburner.

, , , ,

23 Responses to How To Move Your FeedBlitz Subscribers To Feedburner

1. Phil Hollows January 27, 2007 at 1:23 am #

Hi:

While of course you’re entitiled to move your email service at any time, it makes more sense to do sos if your basic facts are correct.

Firstly, we report all your subscribers to FeedBurner if you have FeedBlitz following your Feedburner feed. Transferring them will NOT make any difference to your FeedBurner subscriber count at all (as you will see if you look at your stats – FeedBlitz numbers are reproted there). You will also cost your subscribers significant flexibility. You also won’t have the subscriber management tools or email choices that FeedBlitz offers.

Secondly, if you have FeedFlares they do of course appear in your FeedBlitz emails, as will FAN ads, unless you elect to truncate your feed content in your enails. Otherwise, all FeedBurner’s additions will come through in FeedBlitz emails. Proof – the FeedBlitz blog uses FeedBurner for RSS management, including FAN and FeedFlares. They all work great in FeedBlitz email. If these aren’t working in *your* FeedBlitz emails then simply point FeedBlitz to your FeedBurner feed and ensure that you’re not truncating the email content! It’s that simple.

Bottom line: There’s no penalty to be paid *at all* in terms of Feedburner by running your email syndications via FeedBlitz. On the other hand, you lose all the scheduliing, branding, open tracking, click through tracking, subscriber management, tag search, feed filtering, real-time analytics, subscriber tracking, sign up and forward notifications, and import / export facilities of FeedBlitz. You lose the ability to send non-blog newsletters to your subscribers. You lose the ability to have your ads on your landing pages (AdSense anbd Pheedo). You lose the ability (if you’re a premium customer) to brand your own landing pages. And you need to contact FeedBurner support to import already opted in subscribers.

If you’re unhappy with FeedBlitz then by all means choose another service because we’re somehow failing to meet your needs. We’re sorry to see you go. But don’t do it for the reasons you state here – simply pointing FeedBlitz to yoru FeedBurner feed solves everything.

2. Andy Beard January 27, 2007 at 1:24 am #

Feedburner count the Feedblitz subscriber numbers anyway if that is how you set things up in Feedburner (they have to have the right details entered)

3. Thilak January 27, 2007 at 3:41 pm #

I never knew that Feedburner counts Feedblitz subscriber. Thanks Comment #1!!

Everton January 27, 2007 at 4:15 pm #

#1

I stand corrected, but the other reasons for moving are still valid. Maintaining a blog can be a considerable effort, and Feedburner allows me to consolidate my feed management in one place. feedblitz may have more stats and controls, but they would just be an additional distraction to me. Plus, I would question the real value of some of the things you’ve listed.

I’ve checked my feedblitz feed and the feeflare stuff doesn’t come through, even though I don’t have summary burner turned on though

5. Andrés Paredes August 2, 2007 at 2:32 pm #

I have the same problem, want to move my feebliz users to feedburner, My question would be:

My users register directly to my jobs portal site because they post resumes, articles, etc. Currently I’m exporting the database from my CMS Joomla to feedbliz each week, does feedburner guys allow this? or they will go creazy doing this each week?

6. Andrés Paredes August 2, 2007 at 3:32 pm #

7. Everton August 2, 2007 at 3:03 pm #

@Andres

That’s one for the feedburner support forums!

Everton August 2, 2007 at 4:03 pm #

@Andres

That’s one for the feedburner support forums!

9. Anand August 21, 2007 at 3:41 pm #

I just came here looking to move my FeedBlitz subscribers to Feedburner, but think I can drop the idea..Thanks for the info Phil..I think Feedblitz havent marketed this feature properly..There should have been a lot many others who would be shifting to Feedburner for the very same reason

10. Anand August 21, 2007 at 4:41 pm #

11. Phil Hollows August 21, 2007 at 10:50 pm #

BTW FeedBlitz also has an API (www.feedblitz.com/api.asp) which allows you to add subscribers directly from your won site as they register, without having to periodically import. We’re the only RSS to mail service that has this capability. Publishers need to be able to service their readership themselves, we’re striving to make that as real as we can.

12. Phil Hollows August 21, 2007 at 11:50 pm #

13. Sudewo February 19, 2008 at 8:54 am #

I want is members feedblizt for now

14. Sudewo February 19, 2008 at 8:54 am #

I want is members feedblizt for now

15. Jim Karter April 11, 2008 at 11:37 am #

I am also using feedblitz and feedburner. But after reading Phil Hollows’ comment. I just changed my fee address from http://www.jimkarter.com/feed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/jimkarter

I think now my feedblitz visitors will be counted by feedburner.

Thaks Phil for the clearification.

16. Jim Karter April 11, 2008 at 11:37 am #

I think now my feedblitz visitors will be counted by feedburner.

Thaks Phil for the clearification.

17. zed July 15, 2008 at 2:06 am #

you no longer need to contact feedburner, you can do it yourself by going here:

Read zed’s latest blog post….Gallery Roll Remix>>>

18. zed July 15, 2008 at 3:06 am #

you no longer need to contact feedburner, you can do it yourself by going here:

Read zed’s latest blog post….Gallery Roll Remix>>>

19. zed July 15, 2008 at 2:29 am #

..never mind nix that last comment, it was for another feature.

Read zed’s latest blog post….Gallery Roll Remix>>>

20. zed July 15, 2008 at 3:29 am #

..never mind nix that last comment, it was for another feature.

Read zed’s latest blog post….Gallery Roll Remix>>>

21. Joseph December 18, 2008 at 5:50 am #

Now that Zookoda is dead, feedburner is the only free option left in town. Unfortunately, Feedburner doesn’t allow importing email subscribers (no matter how many opt-ins you use). The instructions in this blog post, I think, are outdated – Feedburner no longer uses the email address provided in this post.

22. Joseph December 18, 2008 at 6:50 am #

23. Part Time Jobs September 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

This is absolutely fine to move from feedblitz to feedburner. First and biggest reason is that its absolutely free and another reason its feature and functionality. Only problem I see with with feedburner is that you can not send separate email newsletter to your subscriber as in feedblitz and aweber.