Great New Plugin – Simple Tagging

I removed UTW a few weeks ago as it was killing my server and causing issues with WordPress 2.1. I thought I could live without tags, but I was surprised by how many readers asked me to put tags on as they were using the tags to find related articles.

Luckily, Ajay asked me to try out the new Simple Tagging Plugin. I thought UTW was a feature-rich plugin, but Simple Tagging introduces some cool features that UTW doesn’t have. What’s even better is it’s much faster and isn’t killing my server.

Simple Tagging has too many features to list, but here are the ones I’ve found useful:

• option to automatically add tags to feed
  • import tags from UTW or Jerome’s Keywords
  • Add tags as meta keywords
  • Auto-suggest tags for posts
  • Auto-completes tas as you type
  • Very friendly tag urls -e.g. http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/tag/Advertising

It didn’t take me very long to add the Simple Tagging Plugin to my site, although I’ve still got a few issues to iron out like getting getting it show the pagination on my tag pages and also finding a way to limit how many related tags are shown. Hopefully the plugin author will get back to me soon with a fix.

More: Simple Tagging Plugin

, , , , ,

21 Responses to Great New Plugin – Simple Tagging

1. Avatar of Ajay
    Ajay February 13, 2007 at 6:24 pm #

I’m planning on giving this a go on my site as well since it is working so nicely for you.

2. Kirk M May 25, 2007 at 1:39 am #

I’ve just switched from UTW to the Simple Tagging plugin and although it appears to be put a much lighter load on my WP install I have a couple of questions that I’m really confused about. I don’t consider my self stupid in the least but sometimes the simplest things elude me. So if anybody can help…

Things I can’t figure out:

1. There is no place just to add a new tag to the list of existing tags without being forced to “match it” to an already existing tag. This, of course, adds it to one or more posts the existing tag is already assigned to. I just want to add a tag to the list for future use. You can’t do it via the write post page (as you could with UTW), the “manage tags” page or anywhere else that I’ve found. Would you know what I’m missing here?

2. In the “manage tags” page, in the list of tags (left sidebar), the number of posts assigned to each tag is shown as a link next to each tag, that is suppose to take you somewhere to see a list of those posts assigned to that particular tag but only takes you to a 404 page. The link I see down in my status bar when I hover over the post number assigned to any given tag looks like this:

http://just-thinkin.net/wp-admin/(name of tag)

This url goes nowhere but to a 404 page of course.

All the other various problems are already listed in Tickets at the plugins site at “Trac” but I haven’t found anywhere there that might offer some way to contact the author.

Perhaps I’m just having a “missing it” couple of days but I’m wondering if you might have any insight that might help?

Thanks

Everton May 25, 2007 at 8:39 am #

the author used to offer very good support Kurt, but he’s handed over ownership to a new person – maybe he can help. If he’s not responding via Trac try getting his attention on his blog

4. Kirk M May 26, 2007 at 7:05 pm #

I swear I couldn’t find any link to the new author at all at Trac. Maybe I just missed it but somehow I doubt it. I know he’s addressing the tickets at Trac but you can’t leave comments (of course) and there’s no “forum” type thing.

Thanks again for the link.

5. vinit August 28, 2007 at 10:24 am #

when i go to individual “tag” pages they show every tagged page (with full article). i dont want to show full posts on those pages. i just want to show two-three lines of each article. how do i do it?

6. Kirk M August 28, 2007 at 12:52 pm #

Hi Vinit,

Try this:

I assume you created the “pagetemplate.simpletagging.php” page already to display your tag pages with. In this case all you have to do is open that page in an editor (the built in file editor in wp or some another of your choice) and look for a line that that contains this wrapped in a php call (without the quotes):

“the_content”

and change it to this:

“the_excerpt”

That should solve your problem.

7. Vinit August 29, 2007 at 8:24 am #

Thank Kirk M for replying.

I did what u said, but it didnt solved the problem.

initially code was

and i changed it to

plz help me out man.

8. Kirk M August 29, 2007 at 3:10 pm #

Hi Vinit,

Your code didn’t come through. You need to knock off the ‘

9. Vinit September 1, 2007 at 8:37 am #

@Kirk M

initially the code in the pagetemplate.simpletagging.php file was

and i changed it to

but still tag pages are showing full post.

10. Vinit September 1, 2007 at 8:39 am #

initial code:

after modification

11. Vinit September 1, 2007 at 8:40 am #

why the code is not coming?

12. Vinit September 1, 2007 at 8:58 am #

finally i got the solution. wht you said is correct — one needs replace the_content code with the_excerpt. but the most imp thing is pagetemplate.simpletagging.php file should be in themes directory.

13. Kirk M September 1, 2007 at 3:42 pm #

Hey Vinit,

LOL, I just replace my heavily modified theme with the original to clean things up a bit and have been adjusting the code accordingly and I the only thing I forgot was to put that page back. I must be getting old. :D

Glad it worked for you. Noiw maybe I ought to do the same myself right?

14. Vinit September 1, 2007 at 6:31 pm #

I swear man this simple thing was driving me nuts. i searched for hours for the solution.

15. Jasmine September 28, 2007 at 12:31 pm #

I am currently using the Simple Tagging Plugin in a really interesting way: I am tagging posts with the URL for the company in which the post refers (e.g.Dirty Dancing Tickets) then using those tags to link that post back from a page about that company. I’ve looked over the Related Posts function but it’s a bit confusing for me at the moment – it looks like it’s a good starting point, but I only need the relation off of one tag I specify (not all the tags of the post). Can anyone help me out with this one? Thanks!

16. tickets October 30, 2007 at 12:18 am #

Hey Vinit. I comment. You follow. I’ll be waiting for that to follow you back.
    Well, what were the issues exactly? And did the plugin author get back to you?
    Thanks! :grin:

17. Hard Rock November 27, 2007 at 6:27 pm #

Or maybe it’s better you follow I comment :)

18. London November 30, 2007 at 8:50 am #

That’s right, pagetemplate.simpletagging.php should be in the themes directory. Maybe we need a guide book on this :)

19. Concert January 21, 2008 at 11:29 am #

Yeah, we definitely need a guide on this :)

20. Bon Jovi January 21, 2008 at 12:29 pm #

I really don’t see any need for a guide book here …

21. Buy Absinthe January 31, 2008 at 1:00 pm #

The latest wordpress plugins, allow more than just tagging, ping, and digg.