What Features Would You Like Me To Add To/Remove From The Blog?

I feel the urge to do make some changes to the blog this coming weekend.  I made a few small changes yesterday at the request of Zigre to expose the ‘Next’ and ‘Previous’ articles links a bit more.  It made me realise today that I haven’t asked my readers for feedback in quite a while.

So, here goes – what would you like to see more/less of? What features would you like to see added? (be nice please!)
A few areas that I want to look into are:

• Fewer ads for registered users
  • Somehow showing top posts per category automatically rather manually updating a site-wide list like I’m doing currently
  • Maybe even most-read each day
  • Potentially adding ratings to each post
  • Adding breadcrumbs (they always rank well when we test them at work)

, , , , ,

12 Responses to What Features Would You Like Me To Add To/Remove From The Blog?

1. Martin February 22, 2007 at 8:04 am #

I added ratings some weeks ago and they give me a good overview of what the ones who rate think of my articles. It is not as good as comments but it still shows me what I should concentrate on.

I would not add more links to the blog because to many links could make it to messy in my opinion. I was always wondering if I should remove the latest posts and add the most popular posts instead to my blog.

If you do remove ads for registered users I would remove the recommends Google Adsense blog because they have seen it enough and it is unlikely that they will ever click on it.

I would remove the ad below the articles as well for them, it should not make such a big difference anyway.

Other than that some nude pics would be great ^^

2. Everton February 22, 2007 at 10:28 am #

I’ve listed things that I think won’t add more noise or are replacements/improvements for current items. It’s definitely one in one out, unless it’s something really exceptional

3. Jason S February 22, 2007 at 4:23 pm #

Remove the 2 Ad blocks on the right pane and make it 1 Sky Scraper Ad.

Also, the Google ad in between the post is very messy!!

Else, everything else is cool!! Keep the great content flowing :)

Cheers!!
    Jason S
    I Blog at http://jsbi.blogspot.com

4. Everton February 22, 2007 at 5:06 pm #

The second ad in the right-pane is my poor attempt to balance the random formatting and appearance of the Vizu poll. I’ve privately put Vizu on ‘trial’ as I’m coming to the conclusion that the revenue the poll generates isn’t worth the hassle

5. Maki February 22, 2007 at 7:17 pm #

I’ve noticed that you recently turned on full feeds… awesome!

I think the avatars with comments thingy makes your sidebar looks a little too cluttered.

There’s a top post plugin I think, not sure if you’ve seen it.

Also .. the links you under the Useful Links section. Did your sponsors specify sitewide links?

Everton February 22, 2007 at 9:05 pm #

#Maki

I always had a full feed, but the tags were messing it up.

I’ve ditched the avatars with comments plugin. Even though it’s my plugin it was starting to bug me as thr MBL avatars were taking too long to load. That’s why I also removed the vistor images as they were too slow.

Yeah I sold site-wide links. Relative to my banners those guys have actually paid quite a lot of cash, so i Feel it’s only fair they are in a prominent position

Everton February 22, 2007 at 9:16 pm #

#Maki

The top posts by category makes a right pigs ear of it when you post to more than category

8. Maki February 22, 2007 at 10:53 pm #

I was asking about the links because if they didn’t specify sitewide, you could probably limit them to the homepage only and save some space. I don’t know why they chose sitewide anyway. It’s not really recommended for SERPs and PR.

Oh ok .. I guess the plugin doesn’t work that well. Just wondering, do you actually get people clicking on the square adsense ads you put at the beginning of every post?

Another thing. I’m not getting any notifications via email when there are followup comments. Nothing in my spam folder too.

BTW, just featured your Typo XP Reloaded template on my most recent post. :)

Everton February 22, 2007 at 11:01 pm #

I actually think that some of the people buying links off me do it for traffic and not for SEO. I only have a PR of 5 yet my links are currently sold out at $100-150 each, whereas some PR6 blogs with can’t sell theirs for $40-50. I think this might be a common misconception that TLA advertisers are only trying to improve PR.

lol, yes. That unit accounts for 80% of my adsense revenue which in turn is 70% of my total income, so it does pretty well!

I’ve been meaning to test if my notifications are working properly as I have the same problem as you on other sites, or I have other problems like getting notifications for all posts not just the one I subscribed to. Thx for the reminder.

BTW, just featured your Typo XP Reloaded template on my most recent post.

I spotted that about 30 mins ago – thx!

10. Maki February 22, 2007 at 11:08 pm #

Ah.. the benefits of a high trafficked blog. I’m envious, as usual. :)

Awesome. I guess you’ll have to keep those ads up there then. I’ve been meaning to try them myself but I don’t really like the way they kick out my cute little anime images. Oh well.

The comment notification works now, by the way.

Everton February 22, 2007 at 11:17 pm #

send Ajay an email/IM as I think you’re probably not adding your images correctly – he was babbling on about something similar to me the other day

12. Maki February 22, 2007 at 11:23 pm #

Right .. they don’t align well on my feeds. Should have done something earlier but I’m just procrastinating I guess. They look OK on the blog though.

Do you (or Ajay) know a fix for this?