When Was The Last Time You Brought A Newspaper?

The net was flooded over the weekend with various stories writing the epitaph of the humble newspaper. I actually can’t remember the last time I brought a newspaper it’s been so long. When I was growing up I never brought a daily newspaper, but I think that was because my brother was always the one who bought the paper in my house, so I never got into the habit.

I used to buy a newspaper if I was travelling a long distance to pass the time, but I don’t even do that anymore as I can now get WiFi access on trains, and if I can’t I just go online with my Nokia N80. For me, the news in newspapers just isn’t news anymore, as I’ll have already read it somewhere online.  Even TV news is stale to me now.  For instance I noticed a lot of the stations were covering this weekend how a Chinese woman was defying developers – I’m sure I read this story two weeks ago online somewhere.

When was the last time you brought a newspaper?

, , , , ,

12 Responses to When Was The Last Time You Brought A Newspaper?

1. Mark from Bloglyne.com March 26, 2007 at 3:27 am #

I haven’t bought a newspaper in years… I do not see a need – it just adds more noise.

2. Thilak March 26, 2007 at 4:50 am #

Newpaper boy drops newspapers in two different languages at my place, but the problem is: The news is already read over the web, unfortunately my mom and dad are not so geeky to use RSS or even Internet for that matter. As a result, newspapers will continue to flow

3. Lady Banana March 26, 2007 at 11:38 am #

Can’t remember.. though I do like the free ones given out every evening at the tube.. they are great for wrapping veggie peelings in for the bin!

Everton March 26, 2007 at 11:42 am #

The Sport magazine on a Friday is brilliant and good quality – amazing that it is free

5. billg March 26, 2007 at 2:48 pm #

I subscribe to my local daily. When I travel, I usually pick up the local paper in order to get sense of the place.

In much of the blogosphere’s commentary about newspapers there is a not-too-subtle- glee about their hard times. I don’t understand that. A newspaper is a newspaper regardless of how it is published. That is, use WordPress instead of a printing press to distribute the stories and the ads and it is still a newspaper. It is another source of news and information. Imagining that that something magic happens when someone types into a blog is silly.BLoggers that simply talk about themselves aren’t reporters. Reporters who use blogging software to publish are just as susceptible to temptation and fallability as the rest of us.

6. billg March 26, 2007 at 2:53 pm #

BTW, the textarea for comment input here extends way too far to the right and is obscured by the sidebar. At least in Safari.

Pet peeve: Automatic comment previews are really hard to notice. This one looks an awful lot like the last comment posted, so it’s easy to miss.

7. Mosey March 26, 2007 at 5:30 pm #

Textarea is ok for firefox so it might be a Safari thing… @_@

I still read newspapers even if I don’t buy them very often – something quite satisfying about reading a paper, but only if I have enough space and time. Apart from the broadsheets you can also get the free evening newspapers in London.

8. billg March 26, 2007 at 8:04 pm #

Hmm. There’s no right border visible on the textarea on either Safari or Firfox here, but text wraps correctly on Firefox.

The notion of free newspapers has been around for a long time, but usually confined to weekly “shoppers” that tried to survive targetting a specific demographic or neighborhood. They usually had minimal, or no, news staff, depending on PR releases, etc. However, it isn’t much of a leap for a legitimate newspaper to go the freebie route. News stand and subscription sales revenue isn’t nearly enough to survive on.

9. Mosey March 26, 2007 at 9:32 pm #

As far as I understand it, the ‘new’ evening freebies are subsidiaries of a main newspaper (or two)… I remember reading that their aim was indeed to target the working population (20-30s) on their way home – so a specific demographic as you say. However, although its rather tabloid in style, it does cover a surprising amount of current affairs.

10. Zath March 26, 2007 at 10:17 pm #

I’ve never really been a buyer of newspapers, might occasionally read one if i had put some time in waiting or such like, but in those situations, would normally try and buy a magazine instead.

11. Mark from Bloglyne.com March 27, 2007 at 12:09 am #

@billg – I have noticed that the text preview is very erratic on this site, it doesn’t work in IE but works in FF… it is interesting to hear that it shows a completely different behavior in Safari…

12. Ajay April 14, 2007 at 1:02 pm #

I have three newspapers coming to my house everyday… two are regular papers and one is a business newspaper.

Will confess though, that I personally don’t read them all daily…