WordPress may be the best blogging platform out there, but unfortunately some of its features could be more user-friendly. For instance upgrading WordPress isn’t a nice simple process.
Luckily, for those of you who either forget to keep up with the endless WordPress updates, don’t like FTP or just can’t be bothered to update WordPress, well, now there’s a plugin that will do it automatically. WordPress Automatic Upgrade is a WordPress plugin that will automatically upgrade your WordPress version to the latest version.
Here is what WPAU does:
1. Backs up the files and makes available a link to download it.
2. Backs up the database and makes available a link to download it.
3. Downloads the latest files from http://wordpress.org/latest.zip and unzips it.
4. Puts the site in maintenance mode.
5. De-activates all active plugins and remembers it.
6. Upgrades wordpress files.
7. Gives you a link that will open in a new window to upgrade installation.
8. Re-activates the plugins.
The plugin can also can be run in a automated mode where in you do not have to click on any links to go to the next step. to download the plugin and to learn more, click here. The plugin proves that this functionality can be built, so hopefully the code will make its way somehow into the core WordPress build.