Don’t Be Afraid To Delete Adsense Units To Make More Money

I’ve seen more evidence this week that Google Adsense Smart Pricing really does exist, where after deleting 50% of my Adsense inventory, rather than my overall earnings falling, the additional revenue I’m making from my remaining units performing has improved so much it has actually lifted my total earnings!

One of the tips I constantly give to people who are trying to increase their Google adsense earnings is to delete poorly performing and positioned units e.g in sidebars. Google Adsense Smart Pricing ensures that publishers with higher average CTRs get better performing ads, so by removing your poorly performing ads and increasing your CTR average, 9 times out of 10 your earnings will improve.

In the past I’ve deleted units that weren’t achieving at least $2CPM as this is roughly what I can make from Tribal Fusion. However, this month I replaced my 468×60 Adsense unit which was I thought was doing ok, with an direct advertiser who is paying more than the space was making with Adsense. I was expecting my overall Adsense earnings to fall because of the loss of iventory, but thanks to Smart Pricing, not only is my main 300×250 unit getting a higher CPM (CTR hasn’t changed), but I’m now making more overall from Adsense!

All I can say that based on my experience, even though it may seem like a crazy move, don’t be afraid to delete poorly performing Adsense units, as your earnings will probably benefit from it.

, , , , , ,

21 Responses to Don’t Be Afraid To Delete Adsense Units To Make More Money

1. The How-To Geek August 17, 2007 at 6:13 am #

I assume you mean removing them from the page entirely?

I’ve found that the only ad unit on the page that ever makes anything is the one bigger ad at the top of a post.

2. The How-To Geek August 17, 2007 at 7:13 am #

I assume you mean removing them from the page entirely?

3. Everton August 17, 2007 at 6:36 am #

no, just the ones that are not performing well and even some of the ones that you think are doing ‘ok’

Everton August 17, 2007 at 7:36 am #

5. Luke August 17, 2007 at 9:53 am #

Great tip there, I will look into this and give it a shot.

One question I have though, how exactly does this work? Is it because the CPC of your well performing ads increase with less ads on the page?

6. Luke August 17, 2007 at 10:53 am #

Great tip there, I will look into this and give it a shot.

7. Zath August 18, 2007 at 11:34 am #

I’ve done this and even though I don’t make much from Adsense ads anyway, the ones that I left do seem to make more per click than they used to.

Good advice Everton!

8. Zath August 18, 2007 at 12:34 pm #

Good advice Everton!

9. Selbourne August 18, 2007 at 7:09 pm #

Well it does not matter if there are 10 different ad units placed on your page. Ads placed at the right place on your page will be the only one that would be earning you the money. Just by increasing the ad units on your page would not work at all.

10. Selbourne August 18, 2007 at 8:09 pm #

11. horisly August 20, 2007 at 5:00 am #

I don’t change my ads for long time, but these days, the ecpm is very low, i should try your tips.

12. horisly August 20, 2007 at 6:00 am #

13. Amit February 7, 2008 at 2:29 pm #

how can i know which add is performing better?

14. Amit February 7, 2008 at 2:29 pm #

how can i know which add is performing better?

15. Zath February 7, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

Amit – create and assign different adsense channels to your different ad blocks, you can then see reports on how well each block is performing and from this information you can decide which to keep and which to change or remove.

16. Zath February 7, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

17. Chelsea FC-True Blue May 21, 2008 at 8:17 am #

It ain’t working for me dude…Cpm always around $3 or $4.. really frustating..

18. Chelsea FC-True Blue May 21, 2008 at 8:17 am #

It ain’t working for me dude…Cpm always around $3 or $4.. really frustating..

19. Everton May 21, 2008 at 7:33 pm #

@Chelsea

How long did you wait? It can take a few a while to filter through.

Jammy goal btw

Everton May 21, 2008 at 7:33 pm #

@Chelsea

How long did you wait? It can take a few a while to filter through.

Jammy goal btw

21. ynomhtdvm September 1, 2010 at 11:51 am #

ETYmS5 jzmtpioztzdq, [url=http://svnljrhewiay.com/]svnljrhewiay[/url], [link=http://qwjputabruii.com/]qwjputabruii[/link], http://dpdiehwjxmvh.com/