Ashley Qualls – 17 Year Old Dot Com Millionaire

I first read about Ashley Qualls aged 17 who has made over a million dollars from a site giving away MySpace themes, on Dosh Dosh. I didn’t read all of Maki’s post, but the facts in the first paragraph got my attention:

• Ashley Qualls started at 14 and dropped out of school to build her online business
  • First adsense cheque was for $2,790
  • Now earns as much as $70k per month from her Whateverlife.com site

Ashley Qualls

Amazing numbers, but after following a link from the Guardian Blog yesterday, I discovered that her story was even more interesting.

Many of the people Ashley does business with don’t realise that she’s only 17. She’s so young in fact, that because she’s still legally a minor, a court has appointed someone to manage her finances until she’s 18, as sadly her sudden wealth has caused issues within her family. Ashley has recruited a lawyer to try and get herself emancipated and declared an adult.

I think it’s amazing that thanks to the internet, a schoolkid can become a millionaire. At 17 I’d only just finished my first ever jobs working in brick and timber yards over the summer holidays. I remember how proud my parents were that I was capable of doing a real ‘mans’ job, getting up at dawn and working my ass off all day.

I wonder how they would have reacted if I said I wanted to build a website over the summer to make money online! I’m really envious of the opportunities available now. I seriously think that if I were a teenager growing up now, my life would have taken a totally different path. I really doubt that I would have wanted to go to Uni, although I’m sure my parents would have forced me too, even if I was generating money online.

Are there any readers out there who have passed on going to Uni in order to develop online businesses?

, , ,

75 Responses to Ashley Qualls – 17 Year Old Dot Com Millionaire

1. Mathew September 2, 2007 at 11:52 pm #

I wouldn’t say I’d have skipped university but its increasingly looking an inviting option for those who are savvy enough. In fact, what she’s doing isn’t even that advanced but she’s doing it well and targeting the perfect niche. Kudos to her, I say.

2. Mathew September 3, 2007 at 12:52 am #

3. Dave Starr September 3, 2007 at 2:22 am #

Well I skipped Uni … but that was years before there was an Internet and I did not have a good reason to do so. Bill Gates dropped out though, in addition to probably dozens of other big names out there.

I advocate university for the broad background it can give a person and for the organizational and study habits … but as preparation to make money? Not so sure.

As has been pointed out, what Ashley is doing is not ‘earth shaking” nor is it something she would have ever learned at Uni anyway. Most good money-making ideas are much less “revolutionary” than “evolutionary” The formula for making money is the same regardless of education … find a need and fill it … innovation is strictly optional.

4. Dave Starr September 3, 2007 at 3:22 am #

5. NLP Master September 3, 2007 at 3:29 am #

Well, I never passed uni to start an internet empire- I built the empire while in uni. Starting with a network of eBBS (remember the days of Zmodem, Ymodem Gmodem?).

The grand thing about ebusiness is that the service is infinitely scalable if you’re selling info. Next to zero COGS!

6. NLP Master September 3, 2007 at 4:29 am #

7. Maki September 3, 2007 at 3:41 am #

Thanks for the mention, Everton. You might want to note that Ashley doesn’t sell MySpace themes… she gives them all away for free and includes detailed tutorials on customization as well. :)

8. Maki September 3, 2007 at 4:41 am #

9. Dave Starr September 3, 2007 at 4:11 am #

Yep, you were so right to point that out, Maki. So many people have skimmed a blog post or two about Ashley and immediately jumped into the “selling” mode. The part most notable is not that she is “selling” the notable part is she is giving away and still getting rich.

Now how many other ventures, desperate for the next sale could restructure themselves to make money by giving away and capitaizing on the traffic/relationships?

10. Dave Starr September 3, 2007 at 5:11 am #

11. Everton September 3, 2007 at 6:02 am #

@Maki

Thanks updated. Side question – have you passed 1k subs yet? you haven’t added your count to your site yet. Given your technorati rank, I’m assuming you have

Everton September 3, 2007 at 7:02 am #

@Maki

13. 3gp September 3, 2007 at 6:04 am #

These kind of stories motivate alot of people. I myself quit my studies to earn online. But i think atleast you have bachelors degree as studies always help you somewhere in your life.

14. 3gp September 3, 2007 at 7:04 am #

15. NLP Master September 3, 2007 at 6:08 am #

If they had a bachelors degree in eBusines- I’d have taken it instead of BS Architecture.

Almost everyday I meet a new internet millionaire!

16. NLP Master September 3, 2007 at 7:08 am #

Almost everyday I meet a new internet millionaire!

17. A. Adam September 3, 2007 at 9:10 am #

So if understood this correct, she doesn’t actually earn the dough through the myspace layouts directly but through contextual ads such as Adsense?

Anyway, always a good motivation when young people run past you in revenue.

18. A. Adam September 3, 2007 at 10:10 am #

Anyway, always a good motivation when young people run past you in revenue.

19. Everton September 3, 2007 at 9:40 am #

when young people run past you in revenue

run past you? I think earning over $1m counts as ‘blazing past you at light speed’, unless you’re keeping something from us Adam!

20. Dexter September 3, 2007 at 2:35 pm #

It is really nice to know that there are some blogger earning this much it becomes an inspiration in blogging. And it is great that he is giving away those template and yet earning more.

21. Everton September 3, 2007 at 2:36 pm #

Social Shopper aka Phil please use real names!!!! I’ll let you have this one :-)

I have to agree about there being no rush and also life isn’t just about making money. The years I spent doing my A-levels and at Uni were some of the best of my life. In fact, I think my upper sixth year was the best ever.

Everton September 3, 2007 at 3:36 pm #

23. Shashank September 3, 2007 at 5:35 pm #

wow in just three years she built a millionaire business and that too in such a small age..great story .

24. Nirmal September 3, 2007 at 5:46 pm #

70k per month? Thats a huge amount of money. :D

25. k-net September 3, 2007 at 7:43 pm #

$70k for adsense cheque per month? WOW! I thought John Chow was the best..LOL! I was so wrong..

26. k-net September 3, 2007 at 8:43 pm #

27. reztar September 3, 2007 at 9:32 pm #

this is a great motivation for me. that’s like a perfect job. doing what you like.. and you get paid :P

28. reztar September 3, 2007 at 10:32 pm #

29. Tomaz September 4, 2007 at 3:25 am #

It’s great to read a story like to this which can break some limiting beliefs of what can and what cannot be done.

The leverage of internet is massive and your post shows this too. It’s actually the 4th post this week about Ashley and she is now getting even more exposure and links to keep her on top of search engines.

30. Tomaz September 4, 2007 at 4:25 am #

31. Jammy September 4, 2007 at 6:18 am #

Thanks Ashley. Your story was so inspiring. It helps me work more harder to attain my goals.

32. Jammy September 4, 2007 at 7:18 am #

33. Aaron September 6, 2007 at 5:44 am #

There are two things I would like to say -

A) If she has managed to penetrate what is called Social Media Optimisation to this extent, congratulations to her.

B) I treat this story with extreme suspicion.

My main issue is that by everyone writing articles on the net that say ‘hey, wow, a 17 year old internet millionaire’ you are creating back-links to her site. The result of this is that you are driving her traffic up (both through your articles and google). Therefore, the (dare I say it) implausible nature of this story is what is getting it high rankings on social network sites including MySpace and Technorati, because it is a heartwarming story and we would all like to side with her.

If you think I am being a little bit too skeptical, try googling “MySpace skins”. Her competition is experienced and brutal, and I don’t think what she is doing is really that unique.

But, that’s just my opinion, and for what its worth I have been posting backlinks to the site and I hope that she have every future success.

34. Aaron September 6, 2007 at 6:44 am #

There are two things I would like to say -

B) I treat this story with extreme suspicion.

35. Everton September 6, 2007 at 6:06 am #

@Aaron

You’re a very tough one mate. Yes, the competition for myspace themes is most definitely hard and she doesn’t seem to rank very well on Google. But, don’t forget that it’s possible to build successful businesses without being #1 on Google. She could be successful just based on word of mouth, or because of promotion on Myspace, other search engines or other Myspace resources.

Looking at her site, her adsense units are well positioned, plus she has a very focussed site…about myspace themes so she gets highly targetted ads and hence a high CTR, so I can believe that she’s making a killing with adsense.

Everton September 6, 2007 at 7:06 am #

@Aaron

37. MrBob September 6, 2007 at 6:21 am #

You have missed the point.

I would like to put something to everyone here. Part of her success (aside from her talent) IS THE FACT that she is 17 years old. Why? The answer is right hear on this blog.

People are astounded by this fact so they write blogs like this one, generating links back to her site. Then it gets recycled and recycled through social media sites making her ste more popular.

I am not saying that she is not extremely talented. What I am saying is the fact that she is young and successful is something people want to write about, and this process of commenting about her and her business in these types of blogs is what makes her more popular then other similar sites in my eyes.

38. MrBob September 6, 2007 at 7:21 am #

You have missed the point.

39. MrBob September 6, 2007 at 8:44 am #

While I respect her success and think she has talented, I don’t think she really planned this. Therefore for good measure that she did not find her niche, but that she is her niche (17 year old girls).

40. MrBob September 6, 2007 at 9:44 am #

41. DAZ September 7, 2007 at 1:38 pm #

Well, I heard of this story this morning and I know that a millionaire is made every 14 minutes in this country.
    Everyone reading this story can do the same, just do what you love and make a business out of it.

42. DAZ September 7, 2007 at 2:38 pm #

43. Dave Starr September 8, 2007 at 12:52 am #

Ah for the day when I knew everything. Ii did, you know, some years back, but I lost my notebook and now others know it all and then some.

As far as “The youth of today”, Ashley’s story gives me a lot of hope. Why, indeed should today’s youth be concerned about where, physically a service provider is located? This “preserve our jobs” claptrap is such antiquated thinking it defies reality. Google the “Mercantile Theory” and learn why the UK and the US (as just one example) aren’t the same country any more. 200+ years of history taught catch as catch can by football coaches and driver’s ed teachers has handicapped the USA badly in today’s global economy.

Why would someone outsource to another country? Better product for less, perhaps? What is the single most important goal of an owner/CEO? Better product for less, perhaps? If you are a UK or US web services provider why aren’t you competing with outsourced employee then, instead of complaining about someone whose obviously success ful making a smart business decision?

Jobs are not national resources that deserve “protection”. Every employee is a liability that an ideal business should strive to reduce to zero if possible.

44. Dave Starr September 8, 2007 at 1:52 am #

45. Kline September 8, 2007 at 1:18 am #

I think you will find I was being sarcastic…

“potential effect on yadda yadda yadda. I honestly don’t care about outsourcing one way or the other.. the market will take care of itself, but it is amusing.”

I think you will find the rest of my post to be the main bulk of my message. I should have split them into two posts. It is a common thing now for larger entities to fabricate ‘homegrown startups’ or take a lemonaid stand and turn it into a starbucks but pretend that it was all the original person’s doing. A site for 16 year old girls will certainly have more appeal if it seems that a 16 year old girl is the one doing the work.

And, again, it has been said, oh who needs university, but in a technological world, can the same seriously be said about ‘who needs a highschool diploma’? Unless this girl plans to work for herself forever, she will have a tough time getting a job at any technical position ever. I would honestly hazard to say that if you want to be a webdeveloper,etc that even a college degree is required here in the US. There was a time where you could get a start in the industry without one. And even now, if you dont have one, but you have 15 years experience it no longer matters.. but someone with no work experience besides this and no college degree and no HS degree, do you *really* think she is going to be ready/attractive to the industry? She can always go back and do it later, but it will have to be done at s ome point.

46. Avatar of Kline
    Kline September 8, 2007 at 2:18 am #

I think you will find I was being sarcastic…

47. John September 8, 2007 at 6:28 am #

Wow I can’t believe how all these sites keep saying she is a high school drop out! Ashley is in fact not at all if you know a two cents about her she is dual enrolled taking high school online and going to a college. Last time I checked online high school was the same as being home schooled. She should sue everyone for slander saying she is a drop out

48. John September 8, 2007 at 7:28 am #

49. John September 8, 2007 at 6:32 am #

@Kline College for webmasters is ridiculous because it is like having a degree in art I would much rather hire someone who has a fantastic portfolio than a college degree that only learned basics and not experience in styles etc.

50. John September 8, 2007 at 7:32 am #

51. Aaron September 8, 2007 at 7:12 am #

While that is true, the strength of her network in MySpace doesn’t seem that strong either. I guess what I am trying to say is she gets ALOT of attention from the old media (TV, newsprint etc.) and then there are social blogs like this one. There are also alot of templating sites on MySpace itself that have a very strong presence, and on the web (excluding everything else) I just don’t see how this one is superior.

In terms of the AdSense success, I would go as far to say that this is a borderline MFA site too, my reason being is there seems to be more AdSense links then real links on the site. My conclusion is that 17 year old girls land on the page and see a bunch of links for glitter text (the AdSense links), and assume these are just tools on the site.

Why do I say the focus is on the AdSense links? Because the templates themselves are three clicks deep into the site on barely visible links on pages where the entire top half of the site is buried in ads. And since most of the ads look like content, how likely do you think 17 year old girls are to actually find the templates (this doesn’t make any sense until you realise that by clicking the ads, you will be directed away from the page, so you will never see it).

The ironic thing is my web tutors (I’m a web author) have always taught me that these sorts of sites (that say one thing and do another) are bad, and had she attended college first there is a good chance that this mentality would have prevented her from making the site in the first place. Alternately, this was a once useful resource that, under some sort of corporate influence, has become a spam magnet. There are also casalemedia banners on the page, which are notorius for spreading trackers and spywear.

I guess my posts are pretty pessimistic. However I will try and put a positive spin –

- She is 17 and she has managed to infiltrate the mass media (impressive by anyones standards)
    - The site is very effective in getting you to click on the ads
    - Even if she is outsourcing / the site is co-owned, this team is managing to achieve the first two very well
    - The combination of her online and mass media presence are fueling one another

52. Aaron September 8, 2007 at 8:12 am #

- The site is very effective in getting you to click on the ads
    - The combination of her online and mass media presence are fueling one another

53. xFilthyxJesusx September 8, 2007 at 11:51 pm #

Wait when I was 16 I looked into getting an adsense account and you have to be 18 in order to receive the checks for your adsense account. Or do they not do a check up on it? If not I’ll actually build my site.

54. xFilthyxJesusx September 9, 2007 at 12:51 am #

55. Everton September 9, 2007 at 8:10 pm #

@Filthy

None of the income is in her name as she’s a minor

Everton September 9, 2007 at 9:10 pm #

@Filthy

None of the income is in her name as she’s a minor

57. xFilthyxJesusx September 9, 2007 at 8:31 pm #

Well i understand that. But as soon as she’s 18 she gets it all. Which is just amazing. Oh I’m going to start my site now. Forget waiting.

58. xFilthyxJesusx September 9, 2007 at 9:31 pm #

59. abhishek September 10, 2007 at 9:57 am #

I was certainly poised to miss uni but i had no choice and i had to attend it. But now i definitely see a quantum change in the attitude in even my neighborhood. More and more parents and guardians are letting there kid follow his dreams if he is good at it. I had a girl living next door to me became quite a famous singer at the age of 14 and what was amazing that her parents supported her all the way. She never went to school after she was 8 and was doing music practice all the time. I just wish i was born in this phase may be i could have done more.
    Cheers
    Abhishek

60. abhishek September 10, 2007 at 10:57 am #

Cheers
    Abhishek

61. Kline September 13, 2007 at 8:07 pm #

@John

Again, this isn’t just about college, it is about High School as well. You claim she is in fact still working on classes, but all I have to go on is the article claiming she dropped out. So, lets say she didnt drop out and will get a diploma.

A portfolio is good, but she doesn’t do her own site, she outsources it, so she cannot even really add it to her portfolio. She might have done the design and outsourced the HTML, so if she were out for a pure design job, she might get it depending on the person hiring. If I were hiring for design, I would look at a portfolio certainly, but she only has one site, maybe 2 now, which is not enough of a portfolio to even warrant a phone screen. How do you know she is versatile enough to design for anything other than cutesy teenage girl look? Look at the site on the waybackmachine. The earlier versions of the site (before she got ‘financed’ and possibly taken over) shows a more accurate view of this girls web design skills. She likely hired a firm to do the design for the current site in all honesty. I know I would if this kind of money was going around and I was soon going to be in magazines. Its a smart business move.

So, the job she would be looking for would be as a project lead or manager or some business role I would be guessing. Her technical skills are fairly poor.

Do you think someone would hire anyone in the business realm without an MBA or other degree? Honestly here folks. It does all depend on what she wants to do after this, but artist she may not be and super HTML guru she is not. Smart and in the right place and the right time more than likely, but for all jobs I could see her *wanting*, she isn’t qualified for.

62. Avatar of Kline
    Kline September 13, 2007 at 9:07 pm #

@John

63. Yigit T. September 13, 2007 at 8:51 pm #

woow cool :) I wanna bi millionaire like Ashleyy

64. Yigit T. September 13, 2007 at 9:51 pm #

woow cool :) I wanna bi millionaire like Ashleyy

65. Nothing September 21, 2007 at 8:34 am #

COOL! I admire her!

66. Phil Wilkinson January 14, 2008 at 3:08 pm #

ha ha – real names Everton – now rearrange these words: “kettle, black, pot, calling..” :-)

67. Phil Wilkinson January 14, 2008 at 3:08 pm #

68. Everton January 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm #

@Phil

lol ‘Everton’ is my middle name (honest), so it is kind of my real name. Blair is my mother’s maiden name so I’m kind of allowed to use it.

Everton January 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm #

@Phil

70. DomainDotMy August 5, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

Yeah i passed on Uni for online business and i am happy with the outcome =)

71. DomainDotMy August 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm #

Yeah i passed on Uni for online business and i am happy with the outcome =)

72. perfumes for women January 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

i think what you learn in UNi u can use to earn money. but you still need to have the entreprenaurial drive and acumen. which this young lady obviously has.

73. grow taller September 6, 2010 at 12:53 am #

My health may be the most crucial thing, and I dunno about you guys, but I have spent thousands on my health. That is simply because I believe if you will be healthy, then you can have any job and woman/man you would like since you think confident. 1 on the main items I did for my health was understand to grow taller naturally. I went for the link in my name and it’s taught me some excellent ways to grow taller naturally with out any costly treatments or supplements, examine it out if you want :)

74. PANDORA April 26, 2011 at 6:37 am #

I think that results on our site is better than on others. And what you think of it?

75. Darren Qualls - CTO August 2, 2011 at 2:03 am #

I’ll tell you all – from personal experience – both good and bad – this kid is a whiz and a miracle.  I dont know her personally.  I want to clarify that I came across her name doing a search.  She’s not your typical – and it is a miracle.  Success in the internet is no more common that going on to be the next brittany spears….and in many cases – comes with similar tragedy…

Dont let me for one moment take away from the brilliance it takes to make it – nor the sheer utter luck!  I’ve also been successful – and also experienced failure.  many call us who take risk a dreamer….the difference between a dreamer and a visionary – simple – one makes it – one doesnt.  This girl put it out there – beat the challenges and scoffed the ones who said “you cant do it”.

Good for her – and If you’re reading ashley – you’re always welcome in our home – partially from the unique last name we both share – and partially because at 17 or 70 – your persistence is one to be admired!

Darren Qualls