10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows Vista

Windows Vista is a rather heavy operating system with many neat features, but unfortunately they all come at a price. Right out of the box it requires a pretty hefty system to run (arguably).

Before you run out and buy a new computer just so you can run your base operating system, check out these 10 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows Vista tips to lighten the load. This is just the first in the series, so many of them may be very apparent to those experienced in tweaking.

If you’re still using Windows XP, then check out 10 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows XP. Or, if you moved onto Windows 7 then this post.

1. Turn off UAC, or at least make it less annoying

Now, there’s a lot of talk about the new user account control policy in Vista, and all I can say is: as it is, it annoys the hell out of me and slows down my normal computer usage. Just why, oh why, does it have to flash my video card to a black screen, take 5 seconds and really just make itself a royal pain in the arse?

To turn it off, the easiest way is to go into the Control Panel and type in ‘UAC‘ into the search bar. It’ll bring up a search result of ‘Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off’. Just follow the prompts from there.

To keep some of the security of the UAC, let’s just turn off the crazy annoying blacking out screen bit. To do this:

• open group policy (start | run | gpedit.msc)
  • then navigate to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options
  • Find the policy named ‘User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation’. Set this to disabled.

Much better, eh? You might say ‘but what’s that got to do with speed?’ Well, as I mentioned, it prompts me a couple times an hour at least and then takes several seconds to figure itself out. My productivity goes up, so it’s a speed enhancer ;)

2. Disable Aero

I personally do not do this, as I am a fan of the graphical styles, but I realize it comes at a cost. It does tend to eat up both RAM and CPU usage (as well as video card usage). While it is turned off during gaming, you can still notice its effects during normal computer usage. When it is really cranking, it can use 15% of your CPU. Ouch. Vanity comes at a cost.

If you do like it, at least turn it down a couple notches. Some performance increases have nothing to do with strain on hardware, or amount of processing. Sometimes, things are designed to take longer than they should, though only maybe a fraction of a second, but the end result to the user is a faster machine. Minimizing and maximizing does an animation. Watch closely. Pretty quick eh? Still, it does slow you down, and, really, what does it add to your experience? I am all about vanity and aesthetics, but this feature has got to go.

Relish in the fact you will be increasing your productivity by 0.2 seconds per minimize/maximize. :)

• Open your start menu, go to run, and type in ‘systempropertiesperformance’
  • From the Visual Effects tab, uncheck ‘Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing’
  • While you are here, might as well check out the other goodies you can disable.

3. ReadyBoost

ReadyBoost is one of the more innovative features of Vista. The idea behind it is to use solid state memory as a secondary memory cache (before hard drive caching). It does require a certain level of speed from your USB (or other) flash drive. Do a quick search on google for just the fastest USB flash drive you can get your hands on (don’t worry they are cheap) and buy one.

To enable ReadyBoost, just plug in a fast flash drive, and AutoPlay should come up with a dialog stating that you can use it for readyboost. If you have disabled it, you can just go to the properties for the drive and select it under the readyboost tab. Easy as cake. It is no substitution for RAM, but one can get a several GB flash drive for very little. Some sites have stated that the improvements are not as much as MS says they are, but even a minor improvement for such a low investment makes this worth your while. Do find the best drive you can for random reads/writes (the drive speed is usually rated for sequential reads which won’t help you much).

• What speed drive do I need? 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes.
  • What size drive do I need? 256MB to 4GB, where as best performance is gotten at around a 1:1 to a 2:1 flash to ram ratio. So really, you should never try this with a flash drive smaller than 1GB-2GB.

Continue on, and see the rest. I’ll get more complex as I go.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

109 Responses to 10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows Vista

1. Everton October 19, 2007 at 1:58 pm #

Great post Kline. I know a lot of effort went into compiling this list. I will leave my followup questions later ;-)

• Amandaspark21 October 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

I agree with you. It must have really taken a great deal of effort to compile these ideas. Windows Vista is relatively slower compared to XP and win7, so I’m sure alot of vista users will benefit from this guide. In addition to the ones explained above, I would just like to share another good article I’ve read that explains ways to improve the speed of vista using various tools found in the software itself. http://www.speedypc.org/how-to-speed-up-windows-vista.html

• registrycleaner November 9, 2010 at 7:51 am #

there’s a lot of talk about the new user account control policy in Vista

Everton October 19, 2007 at 2:58 pm #

3. Wendy Piersall October 19, 2007 at 2:06 pm #

I need one on how to speed up Outlook, because I had to switch to Thunderbird it was SO BAD (5+ minutes for a virus scan on a email that had already been scanned?!).

Thunderbird is great, but I have to say, it’s no Outlook. ;)

4. Wendy Piersall October 19, 2007 at 3:06 pm #

Thunderbird is great, but I have to say, it’s no Outlook. ;)

5. Everton October 19, 2007 at 2:18 pm #

try making your PST smaller Wendy by archiving old emails – Outlook has probs once the PST gets too big

Everton October 19, 2007 at 3:18 pm #

7. Zath October 19, 2007 at 4:33 pm #

There’s some good tips here, I’ve had to try some of them on my HTPC which is now a good few years old to ensure that my video runs smoothly, but then I do nothing but watch video on it, so I’m not bothered about losing Aero!

8. Zath October 19, 2007 at 5:33 pm #

9. Harishankar October 20, 2007 at 2:10 am #

@Wendy

I recently switched to Thinderbird from outlook and I don’t understand why you said its no good than outlook? Ofcourse it took atleast one month to stick with thinderbird, I meanwhile switched back to outlook twice and finally sat down happy with thunderbird. May be coz of the virus scanner integration with TB

10. Harishankar October 20, 2007 at 3:10 am #

@Wendy

11. Airdave October 20, 2007 at 1:22 pm #

Another tips: Windows Vista Speed Tweaks
    10 trucchi veloci che possono fare un’enorme differenza nell’esecuzione di Vista
    Good Work Airdave

12. Airdave October 20, 2007 at 2:22 pm #

Another tips: Windows Vista Speed Tweaks
    Good Work Airdave

13. Joseph Plazo October 22, 2007 at 2:52 am #

Noticed how Vista balks at large file operations? (and you see the screen hanging a bit)

This speeds up the process!

14. Avatar of Joseph Plazo
    Joseph Plazo October 22, 2007 at 3:52 am #

This speeds up the process!

15. Serg V October 22, 2007 at 2:36 pm #

Very useful tips thank you, my notebook work faster now.

16. Serg V October 22, 2007 at 3:36 pm #

Very useful tips thank you, my notebook work faster now.

17. Kline October 23, 2007 at 5:10 am #

Any questions/comments on this post before I go bang out some more complex methods of gaining some speed? I can elaborate on the later ones if anyone wishes…?

18. Avatar of Kline
    Kline October 23, 2007 at 6:10 am #

19. Rena October 23, 2007 at 9:47 pm #

[Window Title]
    gpedit.msc

[Content]
    Windows cannot find ‘gpedit.msc’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

20. Rena October 23, 2007 at 10:47 pm #

[Window Title]
    gpedit.msc

[Content]

[OK]

21. Phred October 24, 2007 at 12:15 am #

It’s been reported that gpedit.msc is not available in either of the two Vista ‘Home’ versions. That really should’ve been noted in the article.

22. Phred October 24, 2007 at 1:15 am #

23. Kline October 24, 2007 at 1:01 am #

Ah, yes gpedit is not available on the home versions as you mentioned. I had forgotten about that fact. there are other ways to change this besides using group policy, but i cant remmeber off the top of my head.

if you’d like i can look it up.

24. Avatar of Kline
    Kline October 24, 2007 at 2:01 am #

if you’d like i can look it up.

25. Phred October 24, 2007 at 2:00 pm #

Yes, please. I -really- want to get rid of that damn blanking screen. If you’ve got a work-around, I’d appreciate seeing it.
    Thanks.

26. Phred October 24, 2007 at 3:00 pm #

Thanks.

27. Kline November 5, 2007 at 5:43 am #

@Phred

open regedit
    navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem]

You should see a key called PromptOnSecureDesktop. Double-click this and change the value to 0

28. Avatar of Kline
    Kline November 5, 2007 at 5:43 am #

@Phred

open regedit
    navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

29. ReadyBoost January 18, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

You can find a list of ReadyBoost compatible USB drives here: http://www.readyboostmemory.com/

30. ReadyBoost January 18, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

31. Ankur Mittal January 30, 2008 at 4:46 am #

Thanx man for the info!!!!!!

32. Ankur Mittal January 30, 2008 at 4:46 am #

Thanx man for the info!!!!!!

33. Raman March 22, 2008 at 4:07 pm #

visit this too!

34. Raman March 22, 2008 at 4:07 pm #

visit this too!

35. Richard Noorajen March 30, 2008 at 12:27 am #

Buy new PC with Core2duo/Quard/Extreme CPU, 2-4GB ram and congratulations speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Richard Noorajen March 30, 2008 at 12:27 am #

37. John Walters May 4, 2008 at 11:33 am #

Recently bought myself a new laptop with Vista Home on it. I’m new to Vista so this was a really interesting read. Cheers

John

38. John Walters May 4, 2008 at 11:33 am #

John

39. Cesar May 9, 2008 at 9:16 am #

Nice tips thanks. I am only not sure if ReadyBoost will be really work.

40. Cesar May 9, 2008 at 9:16 am #

Nice tips thanks. I am only not sure if ReadyBoost will be really work.

41. conversem June 13, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

Thanks for the tips. I have turned the UAC off a long time ago. But I still hear from people that they really hate vista because of that feature and they don’t know how to turn it of or they think that it will harm their pc when they turn it off. So its a good think that you post the “how to” here.

Another tip is:
    -Buy a new graphic card, RAM, processor or all :-P .

That’s really the best cure.

Oyes another real tip here:
    Go to the startmenu–> Type in: msconfig –>and it enter –>Then click on the tab “services –> remove everything which is not necessary but look out you can’t remove everything! –> then go to the next tab “start up” and also remove unwanted processes.

This should make your start up a lot faster!

42. conversem June 13, 2008 at 6:03 pm #

Another tip is:
    -Buy a new graphic card, RAM, processor or all :-P .

That’s really the best cure.

Oyes another real tip here:

This should make your start up a lot faster!

43. nikev July 9, 2008 at 1:18 pm #

I can’t agree with Richard Noorajen’s comment #32 …

my system:

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo overclocked @ 3.8GHz
    2 GB Ballistix PC-2 8500’s DDR2 Memory overclocked @ 1200MHz
    Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT card
    320GB Spinpoint-T SATA II HD
    VISTA Ultimate + SP1
    VISTA performance rating = 5.6

… despite tweaking VISTA’s services I still have a total of 32 services running in the background eating up memory. When idle, with no applications running, VISTA is consuming 500 – 550MB of memory. Thats over 25% of my memory gone with VISTA doing nothing, just sitting there looking pretty!

I’m dual booting VISTA along side XP PRO, now lets compare the two, XP PRO services I have tweaked down to just 14 services running in the background, it idles using only 96MB of memory, and everything runs faster, applications open and run faster, gaming is faster, just about anything I want to do is faster on my XP system.

If you want pretty looks use VISTA, if you want a fast system use XP !

44. nikev July 9, 2008 at 12:18 pm #

I can’t agree with Richard Noorajen’s comment #32 …

my system:

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo overclocked @ 3.8GHz
    2 GB Ballistix PC-2 8500’s DDR2 Memory overclocked @ 1200MHz
    Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT card
    320GB Spinpoint-T SATA II HD
    VISTA Ultimate + SP1
    VISTA performance rating = 5.6

If you want pretty looks use VISTA, if you want a fast system use XP !

45. Patrick July 26, 2008 at 3:10 am #

I tried out step no 3 but it did not function and I do not know why..anyway will try to do it again but the other steps are pretty impressive..

46. Patrick July 26, 2008 at 4:10 am #

47. Patrick July 26, 2008 at 5:25 pm #

Ok, I am back and I must tell everyone that tips no.1 is really effective and you know what I did, I uncheck all the options and the whole vista layout is gone and I got the old version of windows theme, but the point is my system is going faster, way faster than I expected so I really appreciate you for taking the time to go through these and teach us how to do it..

48. Patrick July 26, 2008 at 6:25 pm #

49. shopper September 18, 2008 at 9:46 am #

It is really effective for me to speed up windows vista.

50. shopper September 18, 2008 at 10:46 am #

It is really effective for me to speed up windows vista.

51. free 3g iphone October 8, 2008 at 2:27 pm #

Not really a twaek, but good housekeeping – install ccleaner (it’s free) and run it every month – it will clear an awful lot of rubbish and speed up your machine

52. Avatar of iphone
    iphone October 8, 2008 at 3:27 pm #

53. aloy November 18, 2008 at 9:20 am #

With the spec of my PC now, your tips really helpful to speed up the Vista. Thanks

54. aloy November 18, 2008 at 10:20 am #

55. Cheap Mobile Calls December 9, 2008 at 5:42 pm #

As with the XP advice, I used this advice on my Vista machine(greedy with 2 machines, I know!). A lot of difference made, many thanks once again.

56. Cheap Mobile Calls December 9, 2008 at 6:42 pm #

57. ram January 28, 2009 at 4:09 am #

it is very useful , really it speeded up my vista bullshit

58. ram January 28, 2009 at 5:09 am #

it is very useful , really it speeded up my vista bullshit

59. Kieran March 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

Really helpfull and it will REALLY go faster by disableing themes

60. Kieran March 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm #

Really helpfull and it will REALLY go faster by disableing themes

61. Fenix April 8, 2009 at 5:37 am #

Thank you!! Vista has really been a hog lately…

62. Fenix April 8, 2009 at 6:37 am #

Thank you!! Vista has really been a hog lately…

63. Razmi June 13, 2009 at 5:43 am #

Thank you!!! superb

64. Razmi June 13, 2009 at 6:43 am #

Thank you!!! superb

65. hello June 26, 2009 at 12:41 am #

umm areo pretty chews non of your cpu as the gpu will tak control of all the affects vista was designed that way

66. hello June 26, 2009 at 1:41 am #

67. Gravity August 18, 2009 at 8:11 pm #

Used ready booost! Im soo loving Vista rite now! =D

68. Gravity August 18, 2009 at 9:11 pm #

Used ready booost! Im soo loving Vista rite now! =D

69. Speed Up Vista September 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm #

Good tips but… some of the tips are for experts, there are some softwares for novice that can help by just a click of a mouse

70. Anonymous September 19, 2009 at 8:39 pm #

oh yes, it’s very easy to speed your windows 7

71. EFG October 20, 2009 at 2:56 pm #

So this is basically turning your Vista into a XP…

72. RV March 26, 2010 at 11:49 am #

this is good, i already tried out to my pc and it works…

73. maxxn August 26, 2010 at 9:26 pm #

same thing .. old .. got any new ..

74. best pram August 31, 2010 at 4:09 am #

Oh, so unexpected, so surprise! Very touching, so well written and I have some perception, learning very much. Thank you for sharing. Very happy to see these and believe that your point of view. This same time,i love Best Pram very much !

75. personalized christmas gifts August 31, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

haha,so nice article.thanks for your share. the Christmas Day will coming! Merry Christmas,Happy New Yeah.

76. Wash basin September 1, 2010 at 3:36 am #

I think you write very good article I agree with the views and ideas! Second, the article gave me the feeling is very large, so I learned a lot of knowledge. Very grateful to the author’s share. I also like Wash basin very much!

77. Bathroom cabinet September 1, 2010 at 3:48 am #

Wow! Very good content, the analysis depth, so I understand! Like the authors way of thinking, and writing style! Compliment, ha ha! Thanks again for the selfless sharing of, I have learned a lot! At the same time I like Bathroom cabinet very much

78. Baby Strollers September 1, 2010 at 4:13 am #

Good writing, and I very much agree with your thoughts and insights. Hope that more could write such a good word, I said, to continue coming to visit, thank you for sharing.i love Baby Strollers very much .

79. Baby Walkers September 1, 2010 at 4:39 am #

Cool. Talking about makes sense. Is recognized. Hope that it will often share such a good text. I will always be concerned about, because you can learn some knowledge, thank you for sharing, and i love Baby Walkers very much !

80. Professional Spyware Removal September 1, 2010 at 6:01 am #

ReadyBoost works well, I have been using that several times.

81. 1234567 September 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm #

goodtrades    very   good

82. beats for sale September 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

this is good info right here, thanks dude

83. tie guan yin is the best of Chinese Oolong tea September 6, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Tieguanyin is the most iconic type of oolong tea, ranking as one of Chinas top 10 teas. The best Tie Guan Yin comes from Anxi county in Fujian Province, which has been a prosperous tea growing region throughout history.

84. air max 90 September 7, 2010 at 6:23 am #

Nike Air Max 90 and even more ways to make your comfort a priority. While http://www.airmaxdiscount.com increasing the ventilation network, let your feet bend and flex groove bend naturally when you’re away. airmaxdiscount eyestays allow you to customize additional support for your feet to maintain stability in your laces.

85. PU PVC leather September 7, 2010 at 6:37 am #

Hello, very professional high level of writing it! So many people to comment, let me also to comment on it. Because good writing, and I learned a lot, and I am glad to see such a beautiful thing. Thanks very much !the same time, i love PU PVC leather very much too !

86. air max 2003 September 7, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Nike Air Max shoe has a leather cover, improve ventilation, ventilation, duration of protection against impact, http://www.airmaxdiscount.com/ stability and Designs rubber stamps and embossed insole polyurethane midsole support and sustainability, and improve the adaptation and feeling in the ankle power train district, airmaxdiscount durability and comfort.

87. nike dunks September 8, 2010 at 1:23 am #

welcome visite our website,thanks!

88. If you are in need of floor tiles September 8, 2010 at 1:48 am #

floor tile Take a walk on the natural side with stunning and luxurious floor tiles from The Tile Shop. From ceramic and porcelain to natural stone, our tiles create floors that attract attention with their look. The timeless quality of each of our tile options means that they??ll enhance the surrounding design, no matter what that design may be. And with an easy-to-maintain finish and unmatched durability, you can be sure that your floor will keep attracting attention year after year.

89. Booster Cable September 8, 2010 at 9:13 am #

Cool. Talking about makes sense. Is recognized. Hope that it will often share such a good text. I will always be concerned about, because you can learn some knowledge, thank you for sharing, and i loveBooster Cable very much !

90. Shotgun cases September 9, 2010 at 9:52 am #

Wow, this is too cool. I am very like it, Thank you for sharing, let me so happy! At the same time ,i love Shotgun cases very much !

91. polo shirts September 9, 2010 at 10:48 am #

polo outlet,polo shirts

92. nylon spandex fabric September 10, 2010 at 3:17 am #

that is great post,something of it is interesting and they attract my attention.

93. Professional supplier of ceramic floor September 10, 2010 at 7:59 am #

Professional supplier of ceramic floor If you are interested to learn more about ceramic floor, visit ceramic floor

94. Poker Rakeback September 21, 2010 at 12:10 am #

Thanks for the tutorial dude , appreciated !

95. Part Time Jobs September 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Excellent Tips. I was very uncomfortable the way Vista was doing for my new laptop. I was thinking to upgrade to windows 7 but after implementing the tips It is running cool.
    Thanks.
    Pritam Nagrale

96. forexhug October 7, 2010 at 11:42 am #

cccleaner and tuneup is best speedup softwares

97. jebat November 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

thanks…

98. Used lateral file cabinets November 9, 2010 at 10:59 am #

This is cool! And so interested! Are u have more posts like this? Plese tell me, thanks

99. Guest123 December 17, 2010 at 1:04 am #

You can get programs to do it for you. For example, to speed up the internet, there is a really good program called Heigh Speed (http://www.heigh-tech.com/products/heigh-speed).

100. Furj December 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

Here’s a great article on some other tips to speeding up your Windows computer, granted that it’s focused on Windows XP, it still applies for Windows Vista. http://ezinearticles.com/?XP-Slow?-3-Thing-to-Do-Now&id=4738708

101. ภาษาเกาหลี April 25, 2011 at 4:29 am #

thank you Technique.

102. ache65 July 9, 2011 at 6:52 am #

This really worked. Thanks…

103. Nicesneaker July 23, 2011 at 12:48 am #

Credit CARDS are mostly the default charges

104. guccihightops July 23, 2011 at 12:52 am #

I try, cloud scan?

105. Ecommerce October 31, 2011 at 7:03 am #

Wow! It surely helped me. My vista has been a slowpoke since I’ve installed many games. Getting rid of those useless apps is very helpful.

106. mivplx August 31, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

AJUwgP yiqdpqhanfpv, [url=http://sqxnbmkwfvqn.com/]sqxnbmkwfvqn[/url], [link=http://coeegsoyzaze.com/]coeegsoyzaze[/link], http://ncoounkcasio.com/

107. ksyzfrre September 1, 2010 at 7:46 am #

kKsenc wrjelvkskyjf, [url=http://fokzaectocue.com/]fokzaectocue[/url], [link=http://fscjnhjjofbm.com/]fscjnhjjofbm[/link], http://ybozikjguobb.com/