Google’s Open Source Mobile OS

Amid speculations and rumors about gPhone and its features spreading, there was a surprising announcement came from Google. Google joined with other leading handset manufacturers to form Open Handset Alliance and announced Android: the open source mobile operating system.

Google Inc., T-Mobile, HTC, Qualcomm, Motorola and others have collaborated on the development of Android through the Open Handset Alliance, a multinational alliance of technology and mobile industry leaders.

This alliance shares a common goal of fostering innovation on mobile devices and giving consumers a far better user experience than much of what is available on today’s mobile platforms. By providing developers a new level of openness that enables them to work more collaboratively, Android will accelerate the pace at which new and compelling mobile services are made available to consumers.

Not surprisingly, Android is a Java/Linux-based smart phone software platform announced by Google and the other members of the Open Handset Alliance on 5 Nov 2007. The Android platform will be made available under one of the most progressive, developer-friendly open-source licenses, which gives mobile operators and device manufacturers significant freedom and flexibility to design products.

Consumers should wait till the second half of 2008 for the first phones based on Android, but developers can get their hands on the SDK soon. Next week the Alliance will release an early access software development kit to provide developers with the tools necessary to create innovative and compelling applications for the platform.

So, we can expect that most of the Google’s products for mobiles will be bundled/integrated into the OS. Which of the Google’s products  would you like most on the Android based phone?

, , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Google’s Open Source Mobile OS

1. Serg V November 7, 2007 at 11:29 am #

Google took a new niches. I think now Nokia Nokia also does not like Google ;)

2. Serg V November 7, 2007 at 11:29 am #

Google took a new niches. I think now Nokia Nokia also does not like Google ;)

3. macewan November 7, 2007 at 12:21 pm #

It’s not too surprising considering Rubin being on board. General Magic & Danger under his belt and joins Google with Android in 05. The whole hardware dance was questionable.

4. macewan November 7, 2007 at 12:21 pm #

5. John November 7, 2007 at 3:17 pm #

I wonder where this leaves companies like Symbian that sell their OS?

6. John November 7, 2007 at 3:17 pm #

I wonder where this leaves companies like Symbian that sell their OS?

7. David November 7, 2007 at 5:35 pm #

After reading many blogs and watching this nice video where developers talk about Android’s conception process (http://www.weshow.com/us/p/22462/introducing_googles_android), I think Android has a great concept. Although a phone means nothing but a phone to me because it’s just not as useful as a computer, I really hope that this new platform makes me change my mind.

8. David November 7, 2007 at 5:35 pm #

9. Tommy Chieng November 7, 2007 at 9:49 pm #

well, google is going for everything!

10. Tommy Chieng November 7, 2007 at 9:49 pm #

well, google is going for everything!

11. Rodrigo Gallego November 7, 2007 at 10:12 pm #

I know that this comment is really really off topic but, WTF happened with your page rank,
    I think this is a mistake but the toolbar shows that your PR is 3.

It would be really really good if you post about this.

12. Rodrigo Gallego November 7, 2007 at 10:12 pm #

I think this is a mistake but the toolbar shows that your PR is 3.

It would be really really good if you post about this.

13. Serg V November 9, 2007 at 4:32 pm #

>> Rodrigo Gallego
    You can read about reducing PR there – http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2007/10/28/breaking-googles-stranglehold-on-the-internet/

14. Serg V November 9, 2007 at 4:32 pm #

>> Rodrigo Gallego

15. Harishankar November 13, 2007 at 10:14 am #

Developers like me are ever waiting for such OS when we speak on mobile gaming. We are really in pain with a lot of standards in the market. Hoping this Android platform will server us the best and not stay just like another platform and giving us more pain.

I am a Game developer from Smackall Games – a mobile game development company based in India.

16. Harishankar November 13, 2007 at 10:14 am #

17. TechPark November 18, 2007 at 4:21 am #

Now the Android SDK is also available for developers..
    You could download it from : http://code.google.com/android/download.html

18. TechPark November 18, 2007 at 4:21 am #

Now the Android SDK is also available for developers..
    You could download it from : http://code.google.com/android/download.html

19. Smackall November 29, 2007 at 11:27 am #

Mediators alert… :) look at the above comment and the link… Act fast before google looks into your site…

20. Smackall November 29, 2007 at 11:27 am #

21. idlwuew August 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

fbcseu seewsmmrdeuu, [url=http://pfnwvclguqbf.com/]pfnwvclguqbf[/url], [link=http://dxfgboebtwml.com/]dxfgboebtwml[/link], http://nhcusisgdyla.com/