3 Technology Related Items to Look Forward to in 2009

As 2008 is coming to a close, we look back and should be proud of what we witnessed. In the end, I think it was once again the year of the cell phone, particularly the iPhone. With the release of their 3G phone, GPS and their App Store, the iPhone took the Blue Ribbon by far, with Google’ Android phone taking a distant 2nd place. We saw the takeoff of electric cars from Tesla, we saw Facebook taking the forefront in Social communication and we saw thousands more Web 2.0 websites hitting the dance floor.

I am only naming a few for 2008, because the real subject of my post is 2009. What are some of things we have to look forward to in 2009? Here are the Top 3 on my radar…

1. Where will the iPhone go next?…and What will the competitors bring?
There is no doubt that the iPhone is well on it’s way to becoming easily the most popular smart phone on the planet. It’s ease of use, it’s feature rich environment, it’s Microsoft Exchange sync ability, and it’s incredible internet speeds, are making it the must have phone of 2009. Competitors such as the Blackberry Storm and Google G1 have hit the shelves with lukewarm reviews. From all indications, they aren’t that much closer to the iPhone, as they are to a lame Windows Mobile phone. Of course the Nokia fanboys will probably argue, but I honestly think the App Store is the real killer here.

2009 will see the iPhone bring turn-by-turn directions, a larger landscape of 3G coverage, possibly 50,000 more apps and hopefully somehow, much longer battery life. Some expect a completely new phone to come out in 2009, but most do not. We’ll likely see several different firmware releases over the course of the year, with many additional feature rich capabilities.

We will continue to see lackluster competitors show up in 2009. Google release their second version of Android, more providers will continue to pick-up their cellular phone operating system, but they still won’t come close to the iPhone. The marketing, the look, the ease of use and the coverage will take the iPhone above and beyond its competitors. Unless Apple completely screws it up with one of their firmware releases, I don’t see it faltering, anytime soon.

Long live the iPhone…

2. More streaming/VOD movies
The fact is, with the release of Netflix streaming capable devices, it won’t be long before there are many online streaming competitors that release many different pieces of hardware with Blu-Ray and DVD capability as well. We are already seeing it with the XBOX 360 and Roku Player, and it won’t be long before the PS3 has the same. I think at some point in the next five years, we may see ALL movies in streaming form. This will be the only fool proof way of protecting DVD piracy. We will continue to see boot-legged feature films from the theater, but those will never have the affect that DVD pirates, overseas and otherwise have on the industry.

I may be completely off on that, but there is no doubt that streaming movies are well on their way to becoming the best way of watching films.

3. HDTV slowly becomes SDTV
With the kill of over the air broadcast analog television in February 2009. Our definition of standard definition television is slowly becoming the black-and-white television of old. Soon we will begin to see all forms of television communication in high definition form. Commercials, news, cartoons, and of course sports will ALL be available in HDTV. High Definition will become our present day definition of Standard definition, and we’ll vomit at the look of ‘old school’ television. Of course, the old version will still be readily available in all forms, due to lack of capability with older TVs, but I foresee every arena having some type of HD available in 2009.

Long Shot Honorable Mentions
The Death of Blu-Ray – Five Reasons why I think Blu-Ray is dieing
-The cost of the players
-The cost of the movies.
-The non-savy movie watcher, who just doesn’t understand the difference.
-Streaming HD
-The picture difference between a standard DVD and Blu-Ray, is almost inconceivable.

I know it’s a small list, and I know a lot doesn’t regard the web, but these are three big items I foresee being huge topics in 2009.

What are yours?

, , , , , , ,

24 Responses to 3 Technology Related Items to Look Forward to in 2009

1. Michael Lankton December 22, 2008 at 2:51 pm #

1. Players are starting to show up at the sub-$200 price point.

2. $5 more than a DVD. I’ll pay the $5 premium for better sound and image.

3.  The one point you are correct on.

4.  Streaming HD is convenient, but consider where they have to cheat with streaming content. A streaming HD movie off Netflix, Xbox Live, or cable runs in the neighborhood of 3 gigabytes. Blu Ray discs store 50 gigabytes, and while some of that bitspace is spent on extra content, I think you’ll have to agree that far more video and audio detail can be stored in 50 gigabytes than can on 3 gigabytes. Don’t even get me started about the difference between compressed audio and uncompressed and losslessly compressed audio.

5. 640×480 vs 1920×1080. Inconceivable? What is impossible to comprehend about such a significant increase in resolution?

Does every Blu Ray disc receive a perfect transfer with an accompanying perfection in encoding? Of course not. Like DVD, some Blu Rays look better than others. If you are watching say, The Prestige, on a 46″+ screen and you don’t find the image to be a substantial improvement, you need to get an eye exam, my friend.

Blu Ray is the bridge to 4k2k, which, in a few years, will be a standard much like DVD was, IMO. As such, it very well may never reach DVD levels of adoption by the masses.

And before you cry fanboy, I was firmly on the HD DVD side during the format war. I have no love for Sony or Blu Ray, but I want the best available format in my home theater, and for now that’s Blu Ray.

2. Michael Lankton December 22, 2008 at 3:51 pm #

1. Players are starting to show up at the sub-$200 price point.

2. $5 more than a DVD. I’ll pay the $5 premium for better sound and image.

3.  The one point you are correct on.

3. Agolf Cartson December 26, 2008 at 8:18 pm #

I agree with you that phone or hand held devices (I don’t think we can rightfully call them phones anymore) will be the big thing of 2009 with the iPhone in the lead.

It is not that I don’t like the iPhone (I really do) but I am hoping for some competition sometime soon. Currently I can see that there are any real competitors on the market.

I would hope that Google started taking things a little more serious and maybe even started copying the things that Apple is brilliant at. Maybe they could integrate their lightning fast Chrome browser in a device. That would be awesome.

4. Agolf Cartson December 26, 2008 at 9:18 pm #

5. bedding ensembles December 29, 2008 at 1:47 am #

Blu-ray is nonsense. I think no one would buy blu-ray when they can get cheaper price with just DVD. Exceptional for rich people who wan to make blu-ray collection.

6. bedding ensembles December 29, 2008 at 2:47 am #

7. Sony Fangirl January 2, 2009 at 1:03 am #

I see a lot of people wanting to watch Blu-ray die and most of them wants it to be because of the price. While I agree with some of your points I have to disagree strongly about the “no difference” between Blu-ray and standard DVD. Those who can’t tell the difference, well, do really need to get their eyes checked, and this is something which came from someone with a not so perfect vision.

Anyways, the only thing I can see that will bring the price of Blu-ray down? Chinese pirates. It happened with DVD. There are a lot of boot-legged copies of DVD players and DVD discs in the past that came out that the price of DVD just had to come down. If they can do that with Blu-ray, then Sony wouldn’t have a choice but to bring their price down or risk extinction.

8. Sony Fangirl January 2, 2009 at 2:03 am #

9. SEO Tips South Africa January 2, 2009 at 3:19 pm #

Blu-Ray seems to be here to stay, and as for the iPhone, I see more and more very cometitive offerings rushing into the mobile market. Don’t write Nokia, or Sony-Ericsson for that matter, off so quickly!

10. SEO Tips South Africa January 2, 2009 at 4:19 pm #

11. Seo Services Uk January 4, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

iPhone is the revolution in mobile phone.

12. Seo Services Uk January 4, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

iPhone is the revolution in mobile phone.

13. Cheap Mobile Calls January 12, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Ah the iPhone. Surely it will just keep on improving and take a massive chunk of the mobile market. I can’t see anything overtaking it any time soon, unless Google really do bring out something impressive with their Android.

14. Cheap Mobile Calls January 12, 2009 at 5:55 pm #

15. Free iPods January 12, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

If people were sensible they would buy the PS3 which is 2 in one: A Blu-ray player and an outstanding console (Needs a bit work on its network though).  What ever happened to HD-DVD’S?

16. Free iPods January 12, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

17. The Blogger Source January 28, 2009 at 12:36 am #

I can only hope BlueRay dies. What a dumb name. Everything in HD like it should be.

18. The Blogger Source January 28, 2009 at 1:36 am #

19. David February 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

Nice post, some interesting thoughts there.  Though you didn’t mention the HTC Touch HD as an iPhone competitor – have one to review about a month ago and it’s a pretty phenomenal machine!

20. David February 3, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

21. Loving my Samsung HDTV March 2, 2009 at 4:58 am #

I can say number 3 is coming true sooner than later

22. Loving my Samsung HDTV March 2, 2009 at 5:58 am #

I can say number 3 is coming true sooner than later

23. Jeff March 23, 2009 at 6:32 pm #

We can also look forward to having a GPS chip in every mobile phone.  Their size and power are improving each year.  With GPS penetration increasing we are going to see more location based services available to utilize them.  Think about things like doing a search “nearest starbucks” on your mobile then getting directions to get there.

24. Jeff March 23, 2009 at 7:32 pm #