Who’s Been Looking At Your Facebook Profile?

I need to vent some bile at the latest stupidity on Facebook to catch my attention: the proliferation of apps and groups that claim to give the user the ability to see who has been looking at their profile info.

First of all, Facebook is an important communication tool. It has become, for me, as important as my email and feeds. Aside from the obvious benefit of being able to keep in touch with friends and acquaintances, Facebook allows you to re-establish connections that have been severed over the years, and via Facebook chat you have another tool which makes it easy to get in touch with friends. Maybe your friends have never used AIM, ICQ or any of the other instant messaging apps, but everyone uses Facebook. I use Facebook chat all the time to talk to my wife. It’s faster than email, and I can usually find her on Facebook thanks to her Farmville addiction. I recently installed a patch for my phone’s operating system that adds Facebook chat functionality to my phone’s texting program.

So I don’t have an anti-Facebook bent. It’s a valuable social tool and I use it.

The Facebook phenomenon this week that is drawing my ire are the apps and groups that claim to give the user the ability to see who has been looking at their profile. Let me address this idiocy:

For God’s sake, I hope someone is looking at my profile information. That’s why I put it there. I have my Facebook permissions set so that only friends can see my info, my posts, my pictures, everything. Presumably I want the people I have friended to have access to all of these. Presumably all of my friends are smart enough to realize that they should have their privacy settings toggled to friends-only as well.

It’s a social networking site, stupid. If you are that worried about who is looking at your profile then perhaps you shouldn’t be on Facebook at all. Delete your account and sit in your house with the curtains drawn and don’t answer the phone.

Any questions?

11 Responses to Who’s Been Looking At Your Facebook Profile?

1. Robert B March 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm #

I know exactly what you mean! Every time i log on somebody else has decided to use another one of these “who's been looking at your facebook” profile things and it drives me nuts cause its a load of rubbish

I do love facebook though and it's real handy not only from a social but also a work perspective

2. bag March 26, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

is it just a scam then?
    Can people get a synopsis of who has been looking them up even if they aren't friends?

3. bag March 26, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

is it just a scam then?

4. Dan_da Man July 26, 2010 at 6:03 am #

Facebook should let you monitor who views your page.

Ofcourse I am not stupid enough to use a real name or address.

I even use a new email so that nobody knows I joined facebook.

5. formacion profesional November 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

Facebook it’s a game changing platform: it’s changing the way we intercommunicate with people we know. On it’s back there will be more and more companies that are going to try to make money and make their place under the sun. We’ll see more like these services, time will tell which one is found useful for the Facebook users.

6. fp January 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

I wonder how many people “itch” in these stupid applications … I believe they have a very good conversion. Painful.

7. Kittyanddom September 4, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Or maybe we just want to be nosey at the people that are being nosey at our profiles….simple!

8. Dan Wright November 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Seems to me the person who wrote this has some attitude issues here. What is wrong with wanting to know who looks at your profile ? Maybe it’s a shy person who wants to say something to you but, gets too nervous to leave a message. Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting to know if they can view who has been looking at their profile so, the person who wrote this article, get off your soap box & stop acting like a arse !!

• Cherylakehurst November 17, 2011 at 9:24 am #